Infection or am I paranoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njs170

Reaction score
So I brewed a Grand Cru on 1/3/13 and I waited ten days before racking to the secondary. OG was 1.078 and gravity when I moved it to the secondary was 1.016. I woke up this morning to find a dark cloud at the top of the secondary. This is normal? I haven't read anything about something like this.

8 oz. Carapils malt steep for 30 minutes@ 155 in one gal of water
6 pounds of Extra Light Dried Malt Extract @60 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau bittering hops @60 minutes
2.75 pounds of Clover Honey @ 20 minutes
1 oz. crushed Coriander @ 5 minutes
1 oz. sweet Orange Peel @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau aroma hops @ 2 minutes
Safbrew S-33 dry yeast

Thank you for your help!

IMG_20130114_043508_zps0728ba9e.jpg

Doesn't look infected to me, but the best way to tell is pull a sample smell and taste it, is it sour, does it smell like crap?.... I don't know how you got an OG of 1.078 with only 6lb of DME.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in that pic. While the yeast is in suspension the beer will look lighter than it really is and will darken a little as the yeast floc out. I think that is exactly what you are seeing here.

There's 2.75lb of honey in there too. I come up with about 1.074 on 5 gallons.

Yeah that don't sound right. Perhaps its around 3gal?

I agree it didn't sound right to me either but I changed the recipe. This was a kit but the honey exploded in the box and I had to replace it with one I bought from BJs. The recipe called for 2lbs and my new container was 3lbs. I went a little heavy on the honey. When I got a reading of 1.078 I was confused. Well I entered all the information into BrewSmith with the 2.75lbs of honey it much closer to my numbers. I think there is about 4 to 4.5 gallons. I need to mark my carboys so I know for sure next time. Thank you for your time!

Back