Infection from fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stvcoburn

Reaction score
s0f36876281a43caa

sbbe42dfe16e44889

Never posted a photo on here before, let's see if it works.

My buddy an I brewed a 10 gallon batch of an American wheat beer fermented with WLP320. After fermentation we split it into 2 secondaries and racked on top of some fruit. One was racked on top of ten pounds of cherries and the other on ~8 pounds of blackberry/raspberry blend. We pasteurized the fruits for ~10 minutes.

The beer racked on the cherries fermented for an additional 12 hours or so and is finished fermenting and looks like it is doing fine.

The beer racked on the blackberry/raspberry blend is still slowly fermenting after four days, I would of figured the additional sugars added by the fruit should have already been consumed. There is also this film/pellicle on top of the fruits. These two things make me think that there is an infection.

Is there any chance this isn't an infection? If so should I throw a vile of a sour mix yeast, this beer seems like it may be a prime candidate.

1.jpg

2.jpg

last time I racked onto fruit it fermented again and the fruit came out a nasty grey color afterwards, but the beer was great. I'm betting you're fine.

Your should be ok. Just keep doing your normal thing and see how it is after you bottle or condition it.

Quick question, how did you pasteurize the fruit?

Back