Infection? Early signs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed an Alt-Bier - a recipe I brewed before, this time around a 20g batch.
Only just finished taking a gravity reading and its sitting at 1.008 and been about 3 weeks at about 11C (about 50F)

while I was taking the gravity reading of one, chunks started to bubble and float to the surface, first in small amounts, then in huge chunks.

My initial thought is that its part of the krausen - although i could be wrong. my last batch was infected, and I suspect a repeat. I'm fairly thorough with sanitation, and i guess even with that in mind, i may have to take a look at everything and break it all down

take a look and throw hope my way, if theres any other info you need, let me know

IMG_3775.jpg

Should be nothing to worry about - most likely yeast rafts.
Do you smell anything off about it?
How long has it been fermenting?
In any case, give a bit more time and those should settle down.

If the beer fermented fine, there should be nothing that would affect the beer that quickly. With hops and alcohol, most bacteria is inhibited and would take a long time to develop (months) if ever.

If you have a good ferment, the only bacteria which is going to develop quickly is acetobacter .... you will know if you have this as it produces acetic acid (vinegar) and is pretty easy to identify by taste. For acetobacter to take hold, you need alcohol and O2.

I think you are fine.

Back