Infected or not infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoect

Reaction score
I have two brews I did at the same time and in new buckets (cleaned and sanitized at that time) and they've been in there for a couple of months. Just took a peek today an saw this...

Palm Clone.JPG

Belgian Amber Clone, I think it's okay, maybe just floaters and off gassing from moving the fermenter in the basement

Americal Wheat.JPG

Not as sure about this American Wheat, seems like a little more than just off gassing and floaters....

Looking for some advice to bottle or dump...

I'm not as confident as the others, but I wouldn't necessarily be worried either. Most contamination take a long time before they affect the taste of the beer. If it tastes OK, package and drink. Just don't plan to age these beers. If there is anything there it will not harm you.

This is Düsseldorf altbier. 10 days in primary. With wyeast 1007 German ale yeast. Is it infected.

Attachments

• 5A95207F-31DA-47A6-AD31-148908DF19F2.jpeg
    5A95207F-31DA-47A6-AD31-148908DF19F2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 155
That one looks more normal that the prior ones. But 10 days seems a long time to have that much krausen. How long did it take for fermentation to start?

I should also note that fermentation is still somewhat active and it has been around 54°F.

I don't like the look of those beers, but if they smelled and tasted ok, I would keg them and drink them until I detected something unsavory.

Two things I'd never do. I don't have a scientific reason not to but it just seems like a really bad practice, borderline alcohol abuse.

#1 - Stand there with the lid off of my bucket of beer letting air and everything floating around in it in.
#2 - Leave beer in a bucket for a couple of months, especially that wheat.

The wheat has some big bubbles in it. You might want to scan through the thread with pics of infected beers. I'm yet to get my first so I don't have any first hand experience but after a couple weeks all the bubbles are long gone off of the top of mine and moving them hasn't changed that. If they taste ok I'd drink em fast.

This explains the slow fermentation, the yeasts recommended range is 55 - 68. It looks fine to me, let it finish. Maybe raise the temperature a little.
Thanks. The recipe calls for a lower fermentation temperature. I believe between 58-62. I really need to invest in some temp control. It does look like normal krausen I’ve just never had so much for so long. I’m going to raise the temp and see if the krausen falls or if anything changes. My OG was 1048 and my FG should be 1010. Still at 1015 so I’m assuming the temp was too cool. I just hate the thought of dumping it. That sucks.

I use Better Bottles most of the time so I can see when the krausen drops. Sometimes it lasts into week 2. I never do anything with my beers in less than 14 days.

I wouldn't worry if you FG doesn't reach 1.010. That is a prediction. I also would not dump it unless you taste it and it is horrible.

Back