Infected (I think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of Bavarian Hef in my carboy now since Wednesday night. Fermentation has been extremely slow and I contributed that to the colder temp in the house (my thermometer on the carboy read 63 degrees). I thought I was extremely thorough with my sanitation, but when I went and checked on it today, it "appears" that there are about 3-4 white spots on top of the liquid, which to me, look like the start of mold. Is there anything I can do?:(

boomtown25 said:
I have 5 gallons of Bavarian Hef in my carboy now since Wednesday night. Fermentation has been extremely slow and I contributed that to the colder temp in the house (my thermometer on the carboy read 63 degrees). I thought I was extremely thorough with my sanitation, but when I went and checked on it today, it "appears" that there are about 3-4 white spots on top of the liquid, which to me, look like the start of mold. Is there anything I can do?:(

RDWHAHB. Yeast Rafts are what you're seeing. They happen all the time, also 63 degrees sounds like a good temp to me.

I tried to take good pic, but there is condensation in the neck of the carboy that prevents a good one. Tell me more about the "yeast rafts". I would love for that to be the case. I guess I can always let it go for another 3 weeks and see what happens. I'm thinking if I don't do this, then the only other option is dumping and starting over.

Thanks VT! I feel much better now. I now think they are really small yeast rafts. Maybe since the fermentation started so slow, it is just now getting off to a good start (day 4). I used Wyeast 3068. The pouch wasn't fully inflated just yet either so....

That's the 1st thing that always comes to mind when I see that. Kinda like the proteins in a hot break,they sorta look like wet popped corn floating around in the BK. And I'm not even going to say what patches of grainy hop residue on brown krausen looks like...:drunk:

Latest posts

Back