Infected Belgian Quad, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudrail

Reaction score
Definite infection. Take a gravity reading and then give it a couple of weeks and take another one to make sure it is stable. If you bottle it and the bugs are still working you risk overcarbing or even worse bottle bombs.

Infected for sure, but I don't think I'd bottle yet with the same overcarb concern voiced by beergolf. Too much headspace IMO, regardless of the infection. But now that it is, I would be tempted to go buy some Orval and add the dregs of 3 or 4 bottles. Then let it sit for a few months as the Brett works its magic. I bet it turns out fantastic, though the timeline of it getting really good is significantly longer. On the order of 9-15 months from brew date.

I would not let this brew touch any plastic equipment that is used in regular brews. Probably time for a shock and awe campaign to clean your fermentation equipment (20 minute soak of bleach @ 1 Tablespoon per gallon of cool water works).

Thanks guys. I'm not too worried about any other equipment being infected, because I pulled a gallon out when I transferred to the carboy from secondary and racked that gallon onto some cherry wood. That gallon looks really good. Of course a good cleaning never hurts

you sampling equipment might be infected. Just a word of warning. Most people have separate equipment for anything plastic which touches their sour beers post-boil

also, yeah, that is way too much headspace for a secondary. Im pretty sure thats the main reason it got infected

Next time I'll shoot for a higher volume. Just took a reading and I'm at the same gravity that I was two weeks ago, 1.012 which is way below my target. This sample was still smooth but had more of a bubblegum taste to it

you sampling equipment might be infected. Just a word of warning. Most people have separate equipment for anything plastic which touches their sour beers post-boil

also, yeah, that is way too much headspace for a secondary. Im pretty sure thats the main reason it got infected

I had already transferred this from a secondary .I had it in his car boy to age, is that still too much headspace for aging?

Back