infected beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabo

Reaction score
Does anybody brew in Minneapolis and use their tap water for their beer? Or better yet, does anybody have any advice on using the city of minneapolis tap water for brewing?

I'm just trying to come up with possible reasons why I just got an infected batch of beer and don't make the same mistake again (it smells like a nasty dog fart by the way). I've used the unsterilized tap water many times before and never had any issues that I know of. The only thing different about this batch was that a lot of krausen came through my airlock before I threw on a blow-off tube. But everything I've heard says that it isn't a big deal if that happens. Thanks

Cabo

Here's what Palmer says about a "rotten egg" smell:

Rotten egg odors (hydrogen sulfide) can have two common causes: the yeast strain and bacteria. Many lager yeast strains produce noticeable amounts of hydrogen sulfide during fermentation. The smell and any sulfur taste will dissipate during lagering.
Cure: Let the beer condition or lager for a few weeks after primary fermentation.

Bacterial infections can also produce sulfury odors and if you are not brewing a lager beer, then this is a good sign that you have an infection.
Cure: Let the fermentation complete and then taste it before bottling to see if it is infected. Toss it if it is.

Not likely that unsterilized water was the culprit; your boil should have eliminated any infection possibilities. Sounds more like during the airlock/blow-off change over, a 'critter' got in. Was the blow-off tube sanitized inside and out? Was entry point in the fermenter for the tube re-sanitized? Did you get any suck-back of the kraussen from the airlock back into the wort?

I don't think your water resulted in infection. Most likely something got hold before you installed the blowoff. A minor krausen explosion through the air lock can not be a big deal or it can result in an infection; I've experienced it both ways...

Thanks. It was White Labs California ale 001. And it sure took a while to ferment. It bubbled away for over a week. And ya, I can't tell if my nose is playing tricks on me now. Cuz it doesn't smell THAT bad. It was my first experience with that strain too, but I've never had that smell with all the other strains.

I've personally never gotten sulfur out of Chico yeast (from any yeast company) although maybe others have if they've stressed it. I doubt it's yeast or water. However, it's possible. You could get sulfur out residual water compounds rather than bacteria too.

My best advice, give it a little bit more time and see if it clears up. It may well age out as the yeast condition a bit. If you notice any other signs (odd phenols, bandaid, plastic, etc), or any sourness, or a pellicle, or continuing drop in gravity to very below target, that may be a better indicator.

I think you're right about something getting a hold right off the bat. My wife noticed a dog poo smell a couple weeks ago but I didn't believe her. Unless that strain is known for hydrogen sulfide.

I brew in Minneapolis and the best early thing I did for my brewing was getting an inline filter housing and charcoal filters. There are times MSP water is so chlorinated that it's green in the bucket. But that only made the taste much better, I've never had an infection from the water. My guess is yeast and/or ferm temp. If you have an infection you'll know by looking at the top of the beer before racking it; you'll see the colonies and can google for pics to match up yours with a strain.

Latest posts

Back