Infected beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreitag

Reaction score
Im pretty sure that I have a infection in my beer. Got white spots floating on the top and they keep multiplying. I tasted the beer and it tastes good to me. My question is, is it okay to bottle before the infection grows bigger??

How long has it been in primary and what's the abv? I would think the alcohol should be killing the infection if it fermented correctly. If you have visible cultures of bacteria, my guess would be you yeast didn't ferment and there is no alcohol in the beer. Just a guess though.

My first reading was 1.046 and the reading I took this morning was 1.014.

that might be a solid point that it is indeed an infection. I do not know much about infections and what side effects they might have if consumed so i would look for other threads of forums that have information about the infection you might have

Definitely need to see a pic, but almost every time I transfer into carboy, I get tiny yeast floaties, that get brought to the top by CO2 bubbles. And they tend to merge together and form larger clumps. I freaked the first time it happened, thought for sure I had an infection. Since then though, I've noticed it's the same thing every time. Those CO2 bubbles look like white mold growing from a distance, until you get up real close and see that they are just a bunch of tiny bubbles.

Well I got home from work and was going to take some pictures. But the floaters were gone.

Back