Infected beer after keggging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I had an Oatmeal stout in secondary for 3 weeks, I transfered to keg and after 3 days decided to try it, it was amazing! 2 days later I tried it again and it has the beginings of a sourness to it, Is it ruined?

I figured I was safe, since all has fermented out for the most part, The lines were new and I thought I sanitized them well enough,

The taps were used, but I cleaned them and sanitized them to what I thought was a proper level,

I am distraught since this was one of my best batches in a long time, now it is going down hill! crap any help is appreciated.

What is your method of carbonating? Force carbonating at a higher PSI or setting it at serving pressure for a couple of weeks?

What is your method of carbonating? Force carbonating at a higher PSI or setting it at serving pressure for a couple of weeks?

Is it a sort of metallic taste? If so, that's carbonic acid which will fade away after about 5-7 days.

If it's beginning to taste like vinegar, you likely have an infection. It could be from any gear used from when you racked to the keg until now.

Is it a sort of metallic taste? If so, that's carbonic acid which will fade away after about 5-7 days.

If it's beginning to taste like vinegar, you likely have an infection. It could be from any gear used from when you racked to the keg until now.

No to the vinegar, If I had to choose between vinegar and metalic I would say metalic, but that doesnt even seem right, It had that chocolate tase to it that really made it pop, and now I cant taste it and it even seems a little weird/souring

Give it a week. If it's carbonic acid, it should be gone by then. It's more common with burst carbing at 30psi, but I've had it happen once with slow carbing too.

Hello, I have found on my beers, that Co2 taste bad for about the first 10 days when carbing my kegs @ 9 to 10 psi, add that with a young beer that has a hint of green still in it, and it will taste sour, almost like its infected.

Give it some time, I found with my setup 14 days on the gas to be the magic number.

Hope all is well with your brew.

Cheers :mug:

The same thing happened to me with my last beer although I had it set at 30 psi. I was so concerned it was inflected because it had a sour taste that hadn't been there before . I put it down to 12 psi, tried it a week later and it was gone. I bet this is what you are experiencing. My beer doesn't taste totally right until after 2-3 weeks on the CO2.

Hello, I have found on my beers, that Co2 taste bad for about the first 10 days when carbing my kegs @ 9 to 10 psi, add that with a young beer that has a hint of green still in it, and it will taste sour, almost like its infected.

Give it some time, I found with my setup 14 days on the gas to be the magic number.

Hope all is well with your brew.

Cheers :mug:

Thanks I, hove no other choice at this point!

Back