Infected batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
So I had my first infection after more than 5 years of brewing. I was moving a batch of beer from my fermentation chamber to a fridge to crash and I pulled my Beer Bug out and the overwhelming smell of vinegar struck me. It smells like a very strong sour or just plain vinegar. I'm not sure where the infection got in but now I'm worried about the carboy it's in. It is one of the 6.5 gallon plastic Big Mouth Bubblers (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/6-5-gallon-plastic-big-mouth-bubbler.html) and that was the first time I used it. How worried do I need to be about it? Will a good soak with StarSan get any leftover bugs? Should I break out a spray bottle of bleach water? Do I just need to throw it aside and only use it if I ever intentionally make a sour?

Clean it with soap, then sanitize it. Simple as that. I've had infections and I never threw a fermenter away because of it.

Back