Infected batch/bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyllobeddo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So it seems that my 3 gallon Better Bottle purchased in 2006 or 2007 has an infection. The last batches fermented in it have a certain "twang" to them. It's not quite medicinal or band aid, and it's not horrible, terrible tasting. It's just quite obvious that something is not right with the beer. I'll probably taste another one or two to see if I can nail down what it tastes like.
I have 24 or so bottles with the latest infected batch in them. So my question is this...is there anything special that I need to do with the bottles besides dump and then sanitize like normal? Because they have an infected batch in them right now, should I oxi-clean them or take further than normal measures before they get filled up again? Thanks! :)

I'd probably toss the bottles. But if you don't, I would bleach them over night (1 Tbs. bleach in 5 gallons should do it) and then use my regular procedure before bottling.

Taking this to the next level: what is the procedure for dealing with the Better Bottle?

If you've determined it is the culprit, do you just ditch it? Or do you have more aggressive plans to try to shake the infection?

Thanks. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

Taking this to the next level: what is the procedure for dealing with the Better Bottle?

If you've determined it is the culprit, do you just ditch it? Or do you have more aggressive plans to try to shake the infection?

Thanks. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

I've already tried bleaching it. Not sure what the concentration was, but it didn't work. I have no plans for the bottle currently. Hopefully it can be repurposed for something else. It will NOT be used for a fermenter any more, for sure. I've wasted at least two batches too many on it.

I'd probably toss the bottles. But if you don't, I would bleach them over night (1 Tbs. bleach in 5 gallons should do it) and then use my regular procedure before bottling.

That might be worth a try. I'm running low on bottles, and would hate to lose these. However, if they aren't worth using then they are..worthless..haha..

I'd replace the better bottle too. I guess I've always believed that my plastic equipment has a life span and that it's worth $25 to avoid another contaminated beer. In fact, I went to a stainless brew bucket because I was tired of the periodic plasitc replacement and worry about finally having that infected batch.

I'd replace the better bottle too. I guess I've always believed that my plastic equipment has a life span and that it's worth $25 to avoid another contaminated beer. In fact, I went to a stainless brew bucket because I was tired of the periodic plasitc replacement and worry about finally having that infected batch.

Better Bottle #1 (BB#1), as it is called, is dead to me! :D

I purchased a third, new 3 gallon Better Bottle (BB#3) earlier this year. I think it was only 18.99 at the LHBS. Last I looked on Midwest they were about $24.

I had a three week rotation going for a little while. Brew one 2.5 gallon batch per week and ferment it for three weeks. Now I'm down a bottle and in need another.

And yes, it totally sucks to have an infected batch(es). :mad:

Back