Inexpensive "Summer-ish Session" Recipe Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guppergoo

Reaction score
Looking for an all grain recipe suggestion for a warm weather session beer that is "cheap" and can be brewed in 10gal batches. No temp control, so we are in the high 60 to low 70 range.

We have really liked the Drake's Landing from Rebel Brewer which is an approximate clone to New Albion Ale.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

70% pils
15% wheat malt
5% carahell
10% table sugar
Look for an OG of 1042
Hop with something citrusy @60,15,10,5,0. Looking fo a total of 37-40 IBUs.
Ferment with Danstar Belle Saison. Wicked.

My cost on this one was $17.48 for 10 gallons!

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 44.0 %
6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 33.0 %
2 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6 11.0 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 5.5 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 8 5.5 %
3.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 9 1.0 % (for pH adjustment- you may leave this out if your pH is good without it- target 5.3)

Mash at 150 degrees for 90 minutes

2.00 oz Tettnang [3.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 13.8 IBUs
1.35 oz Tettnang [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 4.6 IBUs

You can use any hops you happen to have, especially if you have some noble hops or something like crystal hops.

For yeast, I've used WLP001, California lager yeast, and SO5, all with great results. Ferment as cool as possible for the "cleanest" flavor.

I used different rice brands over the years- last time I used Uncle Ben's, as it was on sale at the dollar store (two pounds for $1!) but Minute Rice would be great, or flaked rice from the LHBS.

Here's a blonde ale I've been making a lot of. For 10 gallons:

Grain Bill:

12 lbs US 2-Row
5 lbs Golden Promise
*based on 80% efficiency, adjust for your system as needed

Hops:

.25 oz Warrior (17.7 AA%) @ FWH
.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.4 AA%) @ 10

Mash at 149 for 60 minutes. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops per schedule above. Chill, pitch 1 pack rehydrated US-05 @ 62F. Ferment at 63-65 for 2 weeks. Package, carbonating to around 2.7 volumes CO2. Cold condition for a week after carbing if you can. It's good even if you don't, though.

1.044 OG
1.009 FG
18 IBUs

80% Pilsen
20% Wheat
Warrior @ 60 for ~20 ibu
Small FO addition of Citra
OG 1.040s
FG 1.004
3711 @ 70ish

Light grainy pils flavor, touch of wheat in mouthfeel, light to mod yeast profile with musty pineapple notes. Fermenter to keg in 10 days easy.

16lb Pilsner malt, 1lb pale rye malt, 1lb flaked corn. Bitter with any leftover hops to 25ibu and then add a late addition of something somewhat noble: Saaz, tettnanger, EKG, Mount Hood, Styrians; or something light cool and fruity like Summer, First Gold or cascade. Going to ravage my leftovers in a month so I've been planning something similar, plus just left one in the fermenter with just pale malts, some sugar, and Hallertau and Saaz as hops. Lawnmower saisons for labouring the garden.

70% pale malt
30% flaked maize or "Minute rice"

I prefer 6-row and maize. See here. Target OG = 12P or 1.048.

Step mash - FIX 50/60/70C. 15 minutes at first two temperatures, 30-60 minutes at saccharification rest. Mash thickly, raise temperatures with infusions of boiling liquor. It sounds complicated, but it's easy. And if you do this, you don't need to add specialty grains like CaraPils to enhance mouthfeel and foam retention. ;)

Sparge with 175F liquor to collect pre-boil amount appropriate to your brewhouse.

90-minute boil to drive off DMS precursors.

Bitter to ~25-30 IBU with a neutral bittering variety such as Cluster or Target. Finish with a hint of something you like, but don't overdo it.

Ferment as cool as you can with a neutral yeast such as Nottingham.

Carbonate to 2.5 volumes, serve cold. :D

Edited to add: Some thoughts on saving money:

1. Harvest yeast or use dry
2. Buy neutral, high-alpha bittering hops in bulk (Warrior, Zeus, Target, Magnum, Pacific Gem) and use less hops per IBU.
3. Buy base domestic 2-row malt in bulk. There's nothing that Maris Otter can do that Rahr 2-row can't (at half the price), unless it's a SMaSH. Even then you can home-toast some Rahr 2-row and get damn close. If you insist on a more expensive imported pale malt, still buy it in bulk.
4. Simplify your recipes so you can keep the bare minimum of ingredients in inventory and don't run out to the LHBS to buy a pound of this and a half pound of that at a ridiculous markup.

When you're buying by the pallet, you have to brew smart in order to keep expenses to a minimum. ;) For example, I just put together a grain order for seven different beers, all different styles, from Blonde to Porter, which require seven grains. I know some of you require seven grains for one grist! Here's what I keep in the grain locker:

2-row pale
Munich light
Roasted Barley
Chocolate Malt
Crystal 60L
Caramalt/Crystal 10L
White wheat

That's it. There's not a lot you can't brew with those ingredients. None of my grists have more than 4 ingredients. And that one recipe only has four because I use a little roasted barley to get a deep red color without an excess of Crystal.

It's a challenge to see how many different beers you can get out of a relatively small stable of ingredients. Try it! :mug:

Wow! So much great info! I'll process it all and let you know what I decide to run with. We did get a 50lb sack of domestic 2 row as I figured so many recipes require it for a base.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you haven't tried Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops yet, you should. Can't be be beat in terms of price and drinkability.

Back