Induction questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khugs21

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for some advice from anyone who is more electrically inclined than myself. Moving to an apartment and plan on utilizing induction heating. Now, I want to continue to brew 10 gallon batches as I have all the equipment to do so.
I have a 3500w 240v induction plate in mind but have one issue.. My apartment only has 120v outlets. I did however, find a 120 to 240 transformer that can handle up to 5000w. Would this work? Any insight is appreciated. Links below to the induction plate and transformer.

http://www.220-electronics.com/5000...nverter.html?gclid=CNT13qzn-80CFYwfhgodgKYIIg

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...ogleShopping&gclid=CNzN-o3j-80CFcZbhgodlZQB4g

The power consumption is the important thing. You plan to use 3500W. Your supply is 120V. That equals nearly 30A load. It doesn't matter if you convert to 240V. That is how much current is needed at 120V (from your outlet).

Plain and simple DON'T use that adapter, it will not work. The wires behind the walls and circuit breaker will definitely not be big enough for the induction burner you want to use. The adapter that you are looking at, I'm guessing is for an RV, is 30A 120V. 30A 120V does not equal 30A 240V. Do you have an electric stove or dryer? Most people including my self create an adapter to their dryer outlet.

Well, found out their is a 240 outlet with a 40 amp breaker. landlord just didn't know so I talked to the maintenence guy and looked at my breaker. And yea, talked to my old man about creating an adapter (electrically inclined) and found out its pretty simple to do. Hes going to assist and teach. Thanks for the feedback and advice all!

Just keep in mind that induction cooktop is 20amps at 240v. Just had to go through this myself to step down a 30amp dryer outlet to the 20amp needed for the plug.

Rephrased:
There's no "stepping down" an outlet, unless you also replace the service panel's breaker with the lower (20A) rating. The ampacity of a circuit should always be limited by its breaker.

You can also simply connect the IC3500's cord to a "30A dryer plug." Or make an adapter so you can leave the original plug and cord intact (thus not voiding your warranty).

The IC3500 draws a maximum of around 14.5A at 240V (~3500W), so 20A is correct for the circuit.

Running it on a 30A (or even a 50A) circuit is fine, although the IC3500's cord and terminal (plug) is undersized for those. I think the consensus is that's only a minor issue as long as it remains revealed (out in the open) and the unit is only connected during use and not permanently connected. FWIW, the IC3500 has its own 20A fuse soldered onto the board, which leaves the cord to be the weak link.

Last edited:
Yeah I am wiring a spa panel downstream from the 30amp dryer outlet to the 20amps needed and installing a 20amp outlet. The only issue I've run into that I'm not sure on is the 30amp dryer outlet is 10/3 which has no ground and the 20amp outlet needs 2hot legs and a ground. I had read conflicting info on using the neutral wire for ground so not sure where I'm going with that. Would you happen to know if it's true if you can swap neutral for ground? Or do I need to get an additional ground wire from somewhere else to tie into?

Back