Induction burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How close does steel have to be to an induction burner to work?

I have a large chill plate I acquired a while back.. the kind you use to chill pop for a pop gun.. its about 3" thick aluminum with a lot of SS line inside. Not sure if the SS line is magnetic and if it is if the aluminum would keep it the lines to far away from the induction range to work.

I was thinking of picking up an induction burner and trying it. If it doesn't work on the ss line I can return it. If it does work then I was thinking of using it for a HERMS. Run the sort through the plate chiller on top of an induction burner.

I have an induction range and the pans have to be on contact with the surface to work. Otherwise it gives an error.

If the SS is induction-capable then it might work. But if it works it will be very fickle (the SS line would have to be at the right place to trip the pan sensor of the induction burner).

In either case, this would be more akin to RIMS than to HERMS, if the wort is going to be induction heated directly. And if the wort is going to be induction heated, why not just use a pot with recirculation for that purpose rather than a complicated kerjigger?

Back