Induction BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceuass

Reaction score
So I finally set up the Avantco IC3500
Bayou 1044 wrapped with reflectix
1st brew was with steamer basket and bag inside
I use a chugger pump to recirculate through a rims, the basket just doesnt work, I have read others say this
So 2nd brew-no basket
I filled kettle with 10 gallons
Heat up to 160 (takes about 45 mins)
I drain off roughly 3 gallons into grant (12 quart pot, an added safety measure)
Mash in (Stout-12#grains-Est OG 1.049 5.5#batch)
While mashing in I have the 3 gallons recirculating through rims at 154
Add the mash into the recirculating loop, while trying to dial in the rims and flow, I set the the Avantco at 500w and it done a good job of keeping temps at 154
Took about 30 mins to dial in, turned off burner and put on rims
Left it for another hour-all good so far
Increased burner to 1200w for mash out (168)-took about 10/12 mins
Lifted bag out and drained excess into seperate pot
Put burner on max 3500w
Got to boil in about 20 mins
Turned down to 1500w and it seemed to hold a steady roll
90 min boil
Ended up with 6.5 gallons at 1.052
This was all done outside
I love this burner and BIAB
What to do next
Cheers
Paul;)

2015-04-25 11.13.15.jpg

2015-04-25 11.14.51 - Copy.jpg

I've got an 1800 watt burner, an insulated kettle, a typical probe thermometer, a bag, and a colander. Simple and effective- and under $200.

in the all grain recirculation it is a challenge to keep from clogging but if you can just lift the bag up and drop it down every time it clogs and your set

I think with a bigger grain bill I will use rice hulls, but having the grant in place I can keep a low flow through grain bed, just have to watch the level doesnt get to low in grant
Its seems to work
Cheers
Paul;)

Same burner I use for BIAB, love it. I'm surprised you can maintain a good boil at 1500w, I need at least 2000w to maintain a good boil with about 4.5 gal of wort.

I have an 1800 watt, great for mash but sloooooow to boil, long brew day..... good choice for the 240 version !!

in the all grain recirculation it is a challenge to keep from clogging but if you can just lift the bag up and drop it down every time it clogs and your set

My kettle is tall and slim (Northern Brewer tallboy) and I have it triple insulated. I also place my bag in a huge colander over the kettle to drain while coming up to a boil, which acts like a lid and holds in heat. (No DMS issues so long as you uncover once you reach a boil.)

All in all, it takes me ten more minutes to get to a boil than with propane.

If I stick to three gallon batches, it is even quicker.

i actually only bought mine to make starters and boil a half a gallon fast but tried it a couple of times with an insulated 5 gallon pot doing a partial boil all grain, I was very disappointed about how long it took and blew a 20 amp breaker 3 times during the boil so that test is over lol back to my big rig

Same burner I use for BIAB, love it. I'm surprised you can maintain a good boil at 1500w, I need at least 2000w to maintain a good boil with about 4.5 gal of wort.

Mine is insulated with 5 wraps of reflectix, I was outside (today in Chicago was low 40`s)
I kept the lid on until hop additions, I use a hop spider
I have it on a 50 amp spa disconnect that has the extra lugs for an extra breaker on both legs
I have had no issue, and I have the hot tub running, as well as a rims on one of the legs
Not trying to piss in everyone cornflakes but it works for me
Cheers
Paul:mug:

I just bought the ic3500 and had my first brew on it last week. I was able to maintain a boil at 1500 too. I think bayou classic may have made a change in the 1044 at some point. I have one too and it is magnetic and very efficient. I read a bunch of reviews of other 1044s that weren't magnetic and weren't very efficient with the ic3500.

Back