Indoor, electric cleanup - How do you do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malric

Reaction score
I've brewed 10 batches on my new single tier HERMS 10 gallon system and I'm trying to develop a good method for mash cleanup. This is my current process.

1. Haul the mash out to the compost. Dump contents.
2. Hose remaining material into the yard. (It's cold out right now, this sucks!)
3. Bring the pot back in the house (basement).
4. Scrub pot.

The reason that I do this is to avoid dumping any grain down the drain. I'm thinking a cheap shop vac would solve step 2. For those that use a shop vac, how are you cleaning it?

A little grain down the drain is no worse than using a garbage disposal unit.... I also dump my mash in a compost bin and its about 10 degrees outside right now... it still beats brewing outside or in the garage right? I then rinse it in the kitchen sink and whatever gets past the drain strainer goes down the drain....

i just dump the mash into the compost > rinse and clean in the sink.

if you're adding a shop vac to that, you'd just be adding 2x the cleanup unless you have someway of CIP for the MT

My kettles tip just past vertical so I tip, rake grains into a bucket and toss, then I hose them down, scrub clean, and let it drain off into a 5 gallon bucket and take that and toss it into the yard.

Scoop most of the spent mash into a bucket and dump it in the garden. Rinse the rest into my sink, but catch it in the drain strainer and throw it in the trash.

The primary reason that I have avoided using the sink is that it has a shallow drain. The secondary is that the drain runs into the clean out for the main stack in the house. I added a one way check valve to ensure that no sewer gas or waste could back up the line. I'm a little nervous that either of these could become clogged with grain. I'm going to try adding a filter to see how much gets through.

Latest posts

Back