Indoor BIAB draining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphist

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lot of BIAB brewer hang their bag over the kettle to drain, however since I am brewing inside, this isn't very practical. After one time of burning my hands trying to squeeze the rest of the wort out of the grain in a colander, I decided there had to be a better way.

The better way presented itself to me at my local grocery store...we asked for frosting buckets and walked away with six buckets of assorted sizes. The one that caught my attention was around 4 gallons (I can't exactly measure it to be sure now). I attacked the bottom of said bucket with my drill. So now I have a 4 gallon with a perforated bottom and a normal 5 gallon bucket

6669-strainer-catch-bucket.jpg

Stack the 4 inside the 5.

6663-4-gal-strainer-bucket-inside-5-gal-bucket.jpg

Lift the bag and let the draining slow down a bit.

6664-hold-minute-until-draining-slows.jpg

Lower it into the strainer bucket.

6667-into-strainer.jpg

And apply some weight.

6668-add-some-weight-i-usually-use-bucket-grain-but-mill-had-do-time.jpg

I usually use a Homer bucket full of bulk grain, but today the mill had to fill in.

I'm extracting more wort than I was by squeezing by hand, and I"m not burning myself doing it! :ban:

After reading up on BIAB and all the "problems", I found most of the solutions pretty straightforward, such as yours. I used a largish stainless colander and the bag fit well enough, a little slop over the sides.

And it was funny, I had a friend over to help with my first BIAB, and he thought I was improvising all these solutions. I then showed him this website and everything that I did was mentioned here.

Good idea! I picked up a few cheap Lowes paint buckets the other day to crush grain in, and I think they had a 3 gal too - thanks for the tip!

Mine is almost identical,(minus the perfectly symetrical drain holes.)HaHa.
I did notch out a rib,close to the top that holds a pc of 3/8 tbing in place.I run this tubing down the side of the bucket and into the lower bucket.This relieves the suction pressure when you pull the two buckets apart.

Back