Indie Music Lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
I have a feeling I'm in the minority here, which is cool, but I'm going to at least cast my line out to see if I get any hits. If you're a fan/know of/enjoy any of the following bands, then come on in and say hi. Here goes...

Deerhunter, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, No Age, Belle and Sebastian, Women, Woods, Wilco, Yeasayer, Sonic Youth, Akron/Family, Hacienda, Queens of the Stone Age, My Bloody Valentine, Of Montreal, Panda Bear, Bear In Heaven, Black Angels, Deerhoof, Clap Your Hands Say Yea, Broken Social Scene, Middle Brother, Dr. Dog, Eagles of Death Metal, Modest Mouse, Neil Young, Dodos, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket, Beach House, Real Estate, Black Mountain, Neutral Milk Hotel, George Harrison, Atlas Sound, Oneida, Kurt Vile, Spoon, Surfer Blood, War On Drugs, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Dirty Projectors.

Anyone? If not...That's cool too:mug:

On that list: Modest Mouse and Wilco

In addition: Jimmy Eat World, Snow Patrol, and Keane

I have a feeling I'm in the minority here, which is cool, but I'm going to at least cast my line out to see if I get any hits. If you're a fan/know of/enjoy any of the following bands, then come on in and say hi. Here goes...

Deerhunter, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, No Age, Belle and Sebastian, Women, Woods, Wilco, Yeasayer, Sonic Youth, Akron/Family, Hacienda, Queens of the Stone Age, My Bloody Valentine, Of Montreal, Panda Bear, Bear In Heaven, Black Angels, Deerhoof, Clap Your Hands Say Yea, Broken Social Scene, Middle Brother, Dr. Dog, Eagles of Death Metal, Modest Mouse, Neil Young, Dodos, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket, Beach House, Real Estate, Black Mountain, Neutral Milk Hotel, George Harrison, Atlas Sound, Oneida, Kurt Vile, Spoon, Surfer Blood, War On Drugs, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Dirty Projectors.

You must be kidding. I spend most mornings chilling to half those bands, then the afternoon ramping it up with the others. Eagles of Death Metal station on Pandora gets me through a lot of afternoons. Many of those (e.g., spoon, fleet foxes) I wore out a long time ago.

I love a bunch of those bands. You have a couple "deer" bands on there, but you left out Deertick. Tisk Tisk.

@runitis- awesome man...saw MMJ open for Wilco back in around 2005 I think, in Philly. Obviously it was an incredible show. It was right before MMJ exploded.

@djfriesen- Older Modest Mouse (Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon And Antarctica, etc.) is some of my favorite shyt.

@passedpawn- Nice! Who else are you into?

@40watt- Who else are you into? I just couldn't do Deertick, but Middle Brother (a Deertick side group) works for me...Go figure.

I figured I was the only one on here who liked "hipster" music hahaha

ModM, wilco, MMjacket, fleet foxes are all good........

I would add Todd snider, Josh Ritter, vampire weekend, feist, and 20 others I can't think of right now.

91.9 wfpk here in Louisville plays lots of those bands and hundreds more that you would never hear on the top 40 stations.

Im down with Modest Mouse and Wilco. Don't know if you consider them indie but Band of Horses are another favorite of mine. Saw mmj at wakarusa in arkansas last year, great live show. I'm listening to a lot of Filligar right now, they're a great up and coming band. Also, old Death Cab is great

Vampire is good too, yea. Saw Band of Horses open up for Pearl Jam a few years back. Really dug their first album, not so much their second.

There are probably 50 other bands I'm forgetting to list as well, but yea, I'm a music guy...bigtime. Love going to shows, listening to and discovering new music. Glad to know there are others out there too...

Listening to Bon Iver right now on wax. First time hearing him, even after all the pub he's gotten. Fantastic voice.

I like pretty much all of those. neutral milk hotel's "aeroplane over the sea" is a top 3 album for me

I too am with you for the most part. SOme of what you have listed I wouldn't get caught dead listening to :)D) but a lot of the rest is constantly coming up on my ipod.

I know I'm probably dating myself but how 'bout some love for indies that helped paved the way like Pavement, Built To Spill, AmAnSet, Guided by Voices, Archers of Loaf, SuperChunk, and/or Radiohead (jk!). :rockin:

You're among friends. Brewers are as wide and diverse of a group as they come. You might want to reconsider using the term indie though esp in reference to many of the bands mentioned. It's often a pretty meaningless over-applied term really meant to refer to music that is not top 100 billboard hits.

Aeroplane marks the top pop album of all time for me btw. And I have been listening for a challenger for almost 15 years.

klnosaj said:
I too am with you for the most part. SOme of what you have listed I wouldn't get caught dead listening to :)D) but a lot of the rest is constantly coming up on my ipod.

I know I'm probably dating myself but how 'bout some love for indies that helped paved the way like Pavement, Built To Spill, AmAnSet, Guided by Voices, Archers of Loaf, SuperChunk, and/or Radiohead (jk!). :rockin:

good list there. Im on a built to spill kick lately. Found I needed a break from the mix of explosions in the sky, appleseed cast, and this will destroy you I'd been listening to.

Hanso said:
Aeroplane marks the top pop album of all time for me btw. And I have been listening for a challenger for almost 15 years.

Pop? That album is pretty far out there

You should try out sufjan stevens "age of adz" if you haven't already. Another one way up on the list for me

Neil Young and George Harrison in amongst that pile? It's like picking peanuts out of poo.

Heh, to each their own, no?

I'm one of those people that say "I like everything." While the title of this thread references Indie music, that doesn't mean that's all I listen to.

I've met many people during my lifetime that have said, "I love all kinds of music." Then I'll ask them who their favorite composer was, or bluegrass artist, or swing band, and they'll have no answers. But in truth, it's not just about Indie music for me.

Yes, I adore Neil Young and George Harrison. I also adore Animal Collective and Deerhunter. I'm also currently really into old timey fiddle music and Romanian gypsy music. My fiance and I also went to the symphony last year in New York and my jaw dropped with how amazing it was. Some days on the way to work, I turn on the classical music channel and feel a wash of warmth come over me. Other days, I put on my Knyfe Hyts album, which is literally repetitive guitar chords played against a background of rhythmic drumming.

Don't let the original list on this post fool you. There's more to music than those 28 bands. And if I could trade those 28 bands for the rest of the music out there, I would. I was just naming a few of my heavy rotation listens to see if anyone else was into that sort of thing.

But I might as well also as now if any of you guys like Bach, Ralph Stanley, Glen Campbell, or Lee Hazlewood...It's alllll good. :rockin:

I would add Todd snider, Josh Ritter, vampire weekend, feist, and 20 others I can't think of right now.

+1 on the Josh Ritter. His latest album, So Runs The World Away, is one of the best overall albums I've heard in a long time and I was not much of a Ritter fan before hearing it.

@JeffoC6, I dig most of the bands on your list. A few that would be missing from my personal list: Son Volt, Grand Archives, Drive-By Truckers, Lucero, Arcade Fire, Ryan Adams, MGMT, etc. I guess I could go on for hours.

Great initial list though. Sounds you are far from alone.

Count me as one who will puke if I have to listen to another Clearchannel 'Classic Rock' station belch out the same three Grand Funk Railroad or Fleetwood Mac songs over and over again.

+1 on the Josh Ritter. His latest album, So Runs The World Away, is one of the best overall albums I've heard in a long time and I was not much of a Ritter fan before hearing it.

:mug: "Girl in the war" brought tears to my eyes.

@JeffoC6, I dig most of the bands on your list. A few that would be missing from my personal list: Son Volt, Grand Archives, Drive-By Truckers, Lucero, Arcade Fire, Ryan Adams, MGMT, etc. I guess I could go on for hours..

Right there with you! Dawes "a little bit of everything" is unreal good if you like those bands.

Great initial list though. Sounds you are far from alone.
Count me as one who will puke if I have to listen to another Clearchannel 'Classic Rock' station belch out the same three Grand Funk Railroad or Fleetwood Mac songs over and over again.

I can 1 up you. The light top 40 list "with the best of the 80's!" plays all freaking day at work.
GOD DAMN IT........

check out Russian Circles if you haven't - similar to the above but with a touch of metal sound

Russian Circles are awesome. Funny story...

My gal and I were in the grocery store a few weeks back and this guy behind us in line was wearing a Russian Circles shirt. My gal looked over and was like- "hey, sweet shirt." He immediately perked up and was so happy someone ELSE knew who they were hahaha. He started talking our ears off, but sadly, we had to take our groceries home.

Wilco (best band EVER), My Morning Jacket, Drive By Truckers, Lucero, The Old 97's, Whitey Morgan and the 78's, The Avett Brothers.

I've recently discovered The Decemberists (I am apparently late to the party on this one) and I just can't get enough, it is pretty much all I have listened to lately.

Hazards of Love is one of my favorite albums ever at this point...

Love a lot of those bands, I'll add a few for fun. The Head and the Heart (a little more folksy than most of those), The Strokes, The Black Keys Phoenix, Peter Bjorn and John, Passion Pit, Fitz and the Tantrums, The Drums, Cold War Kids.

klnosaj said:
This, I've come to realize, is where it's at.

Hot Rize, Johnson Mountain Boys, Stanley Brothers, Ricky Skaggs form the past; Trampled by Turtles, Old Crow Medicine Show, right now are two of the best bands I know of. :rockin:

All good! Also Yonder Mountain String Band, Dry Branch Firesquad, Greensky Bluegrass.

Love a lot of those bands, I'll add a few for fun. The Head and the Heart (a little more folksy than most of those), The Strokes, The Black Keys Phoenix, Peter Bjorn and John, Passion Pit, Fitz and the Tantrums, The Drums, Cold War Kids.

The Drums are fun as hell!
Saw Passion Pit about 4 years ago...My fiance' and mine's first concert together :)

Right there with you! Dawes "a little bit of everything" is unreal good if you like those bands.

My neighbor turned me on to the Dawes album a few months ago. "A Little Bit of Everything" is definitely a killer tune and the by far the best on the album.

If anyone hasn't checked out http://www.daytrotter.com/ I suggest you do. There are hundreds of live performances by many of the bands mentioned in this thread (Wilco, The Drums, etc, etc) recorded in the Daytrotter studios. They are free and can be downloaded for ipod use. It's a great place to discover new bands if Non-Top 40(indie) is what you are in to.

Edit: I haven't been on Daytrotter for a while and it appears that it isn't free anymore. Sucks. They do offer a free trial membership though.

Dang y'all are getting me fired up LOL ... try TV on the Radio "Wolf Like Me"

As for non Indie ... Anything Tool .. most of their songs go to 11 on the volume knob.

Huge Dr. Dog fan, although I'm a bit baffled by their latest release...and Sigor Ros is phenomenal. Never put out a bad album.

Back