Indiana: Brewer's Cup

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bear419

Reaction score
Has anyone done this in years past? What's the competition like? Do you pretty much have to be AG to have a shot?

I am dropping off my entry this evening, a bourbon barrel porter. I think it's one of the best beers I've brewed. Honestly, I'll be pretty heartbroken if the judges say my BEST is one the competition's WORST.

TheMan

Reaction score
I've never done that competition. But most competitions are all the same. And as far as brewing method, great beer can be made with extract or AG. Not saying I ever made a great extract beer, but others have.

They will pit your beer against others of it's style and rate it. Total score is 50. But most judges I've talked to say it's rare they give out anything 40 and above, so keep that in mind when you get your score sheet back. I've won a category with a 37. And won Runner Up best of show with that same beer, in the same competition. So score isn't always indicitive of quality. If you get your score sheet back and have questions, feel free to email the judge, his email should be on the sheet. Good luck!

OP
Bear419

Bear419

Reaction score
Total score is 50. But most judges I've talked to say it's rare they give out anything 40 and above, so keep that in mind when you get your score sheet back. luck!
Thanks. I knew it was out 50, but having an idea on the general range helps put it in context.