Specialty IPA: Red IPA India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been doing 2 additions; one at end of primary and one in keg if using whole hops. If you are using pellets, you can dry hop in fermenter, wait a few days til they drop then and add the rest of the hops to the fermenter. I would do 3 or 4 oz total.

I have been doing 2 additions; one at end of primary and one in keg if using whole hops. If you are using pellets, you can dry hop in fermenter, wait a few days til they drop then and add the rest of the hops to the fermenter. I would do 3 or 4 oz total.

Why would you only add whole hops to the keg? I have been using pellets in the keg in a hop bag, hope I am not doing it wrong!

Ha! No you are doing it right if it works for you:) I always get a clogged dip tube with pellets in the keg. Maybe my bags are not fine enough?

Excellent beer! Mine took a while to come into its own based on mashing too high, but I added some additional dry hops to the keg (1.5 oz cascade and 1 oz simcoe) and it tastes great.

Can't wait to brew it again with the correct mash temps, it will be that much better. Got my second addition to my house beers. :) now just to find a good stout!

Not the best picture, but figured I could add one.

bgrw.jpg

Looks great, here is one of mine.

Epic. And that glass is brilliant too. I just thumbed through this thread and saw dozens of variations of this recipe. I too have an unhealthy obsession with simcoe. What has been your favorite version of the recipe so far?

The Brewed Abides

Hey Half Wit, I too am a sucker for Simcoe. I think my favorite iteration has been using Simcoe to bitter, Amarillo to flavor at 20 min and Simcoe and Cascade(1/2 oz each) at 5. Then dryhop with 1 oz of each Simcoe, Cascade and Amariilo.

Hey Half Wit, I too am a sucker for Simcoe. I think my favorite iteration has been using Simcoe to bitter, Amarillo to flavor at 20 min and Simcoe and Cascade(1/2 oz each) at 5. Then dryhop with 1 oz of each Simcoe, Cascade and Amariilo.

Same grain bill as the original?

Well the imperial version came out great! Hasn't fully carbed but it is already a popular brew around here! I have to say the Citra/Columbus combo is great - especially the dry hop aroma. I did 2 additions of 1oz of each for 4oz total and it is pretty outstanding.

IMG_20130905_180212_414.jpg

Well the imperial version came out great! Hasn't fully carbed but it is already a popular brew around here! I have to say the Citra/Columbus combo is great - especially the dry hop aroma. I did 2 additions of 1oz of each for 4oz total and it is pretty outstanding.

You inspired me to use my backyard Columbus and some 2012 Citra that needs a home:

I just did a freshly picked and dried, (not wet) all-Columbus original grain bill IRA on Sunday. Smells great. Did a 20 gallon batch with a buddy. Hops: 2 oz Columbus at 60, 3 oz at 20, 5 oz at 5. I have two 5 gallon fermenters bubbling away with WLP 060 (American Ale Blend). Will dry hop one fermenter with all Columbus and the other with Columbus and Citra. Post results in a few weeks.

Cheers,
Tim

You inspired me to use my backyard Columbus and some 2012 Citra that needs a home:

I just did a freshly picked and dried, (not wet) all-Columbus original grain bill IRA on Sunday. Smells great. Did a 20 gallon batch with a buddy. Hops: 2 oz Columbus at 60, 3 oz at 20, 5 oz at 5. I have two 5 gallon fermenters bubbling away with WLP 060 (American Ale Blend). Will dry hop one fermenter with all Columbus and the other with Columbus and Citra. Post results in a few weeks.

Cheers,
Tim

Awesome! Sounds amazing. Did you mix up pounds and kilograms and do an imperial like me? My keg is nearly tapped I will have to brew this again. I'll be watching for your results!

Hi,

This brew looks good! I'm planning on brewing it up based on the original recipe, though I will probably alter the crystals down to 1kg as advised in a few other posts. I have a question regarding water. I am in London UK, is there a specific water profile you are using or should I just go with what I've got coming out of the tap.

Thanks in advance

Robski

Robski try it with local water as is first. I use very soft Portland OR water and add a little gypsum to hit about 100 ppm dissolved minerals. I have made without adding any minerals and can't say I notice a difference.

All Columbus IRA is very good. Has a firm bitterness that cuts through the malt well. Dank aroma works with Munich and dark malts nicely. Would have to try head to head with original recipe to say what's better, but certainly Columbus works well here. I dry hopped one half with 2 oz Columbus and other half with 1 oz each Amarillo,cascade and Columbus. I actually prefer the all Columbus dry hop. Just seems to go better with the Columbus flavor. Was going to dry hop with Citra, but decided to save those for another beer.

Cheers!

Tim

Timbrewz,
I want to brew one of your versions, which one do you recommend? I read through all of them and want to make your favorite. Also I am thinking about a double batch and fermenting half with a belgian yeast, have you messed around with any yeasts, besides neutral styes on this?

With fall here and winter coming I would say do the original version my tastes are seasonal I like the lighter version in the warmer months. My favorite pop profile has been Simcoe to bitter Amarillo to flavor and then Simcoe and cascade at 5 min. Dry hop 1 oz each Simcoe , Amarillo and cascade.

I have used London ESB, lager yeasts used and the Belgian Abbey II yeasts as variations. All were good, I am not a big Belgian fan, but Abbey II was pretty good.

QUOTE="twallin"]Timbrewz, I want to brew one of your versions, which one do you recommend? I read through all of them and want to make your favorite. Also I am thinking about a double batch and fermenting half with a belgian yeast, have you messed around with any yeasts, besides neutral styes on this?[/QUOTE]

Hey just wanted to drop by and say that I made the recipe on page one and it turned out fantastic! On tap the fam loves it and it will be brewed again. Thanks for posting :mug:

OneImpBrewery said:
Hey just wanted to drop by and say that I made the recipe on page one and it turned out fantastic! On tap the fam loves it and it will be brewed again. Thanks for posting :mug:

Alright! Another satisfied brewer! Glad you like it:)

Just moved to secondary and dry hoped, taste great. Will bottle in and week and report back after bottle conditioning.

Thanks for sharing your recipe! I wanted to use the same grist, IBU, OG and SRM level but change the hops used. Unfortunately my lhbs messed up the order and put in 4oz of the black patent and now the color is way off.

6.5LBS US 2-Row
5LBS Munich Malt
8OZ Crystal 40L
4OZ Crystal 120L
1OZ Black Patent Malt

Hops
60 min
23g Chinook
-15 min
21g Cascade
7g Centennial
-10 min
7g Topaz
-5 min
14g Centennial
14g Topaz
7g Cascade
-Whirlpool
5g Chinook
7g Topaz
7g Centennial

Interesting, never used Topaz. That 4 oz of Black Malt is going to give you about 21 SRM and a lot of roasty coffee flavor. Might be wonderful? Best luck!

Tim

Just brewed this yesterday as a single hop w Nelson Sauvin. Excited. Wanted to get to know the Nelson hop as I have not used it yet, and try my luck at an American style red. Malt smelled great when crushed and even better as wort. Should be good. Going to lager using fresh American lager yeast and some washed cry havoc because I forgot to make a starter.

I know reds are tricky. Is the color, in your experience with this recipe, red ?

Cool, another variation to add. All Nelson IRL! (with two lager yeasts! )
The color is more deep red(16-17 SRM) than standard red on the original recipe. It is a beautiful beer when it drops clear. The lighter version is about 15 SRM.

Hope fermentation goes well and it is an enjoyable beer for you.

Tim

Just brewed this yesterday as a single hop w Nelson Sauvin. Excited. Wanted to get to know the Nelson hop as I have not used it yet, and try my luck at an American style red. Malt smelled great when crushed and even better as wort. Should be good. Going to lager using fresh American lager yeast and some washed cry havoc because I forgot to make a starter.

I know reds are tricky. Is the color, in your experience with this recipe, red ?

Finally got this one back into the brew schedule for a second time. I did the original recipe. Brew day went well so I'm expecting it will be as good or better than I remember. Thanks again for the recipe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Fellow red-heads...

I came up with a recipe that used this one as inspiration from grain bill to how to hop it.

It is sitting in the bucket now and I want to dry hop it next weekend.
I put up a post asking for comments but have only gotten one.

I was wondering if any of you had any ideas/comments for me?

thanks for looking.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/recipe-critique-thoughts-dry-hop-464983/

I'd like to brew this again but want to make it imperial again - say 8% abv - on purpose this time! It was very good. Would you just up the base malt or would you increase the munich and crystal, etc. too?

I'd like to brew this again but want to make it imperial again - say 8% abv - on purpose this time! It was very good. Would you just up the base malt or would you increase the munich and crystal, etc. too?

Hey DH, I would just increase the 2-row pale malt. I feel that increasing the other malts would lead to a higher than desired F.G. Much more Munich and it may be a bit too malty? The color will be about the same assuming the volume brewed is held constant. My 2 cents. Glad you like the beer! I served a keg at a 40th birthday last weekend next to 5 other homebrews. The IRA was kicked in about an hour, the only keg to be drained:D

Cheers,
Tim

Hey DH, I would just increase the 2-row pale malt. I feel that increasing the other malts would lead to a higher than desired F.G. Much more Munich and it may be a bit too malty? The color will be about the same assuming the volume brewed is held constant. My 2 cents. Glad you like the beer! I served a keg at a 40th birthday last weekend next to 5 other homebrews. The IRA was kicked in about an hour, the only keg to be drained:D

Cheers,
Tim

Nice - thanks! I believe it was the first keg to kick. Looking at my brew notes from last batch - my expected OG was 1.06, actual 1.084! I ended at a final gravity 1.020 so I figure around 9%. My original hop bill was around 65 IBU and I remember taking your advice on more late hopping. If I shoot for around 8%, I should probably up my IBUs too? - any suggestions?

Hey Doublehaul, I would shoot for around a 1:1 BU to GU ratio, so if you are at 1.080, I would go for 80 IBU. Try to get most of that increased bitterness from the later additions.

Just a follow up on the version I made. It was entered into a local comp and made it to finals. I think if I would have stuck with the original hops it would have won. The hops I used gave it a earthy/floral smell. I used cascade to dry hop which failed as most of the hops floated on top of the beer and were still dry. Still a good beer most of the judges said it was nicely balanced. Average score was 39.

Thanks for sharing your recipe! I wanted to use the same grist, IBU, OG and SRM level but change the hops used. Unfortunately my lhbs messed up the order and put in 4oz of the black patent and now the color is way off.

6.5LBS US 2-Row
5LBS Munich Malt
8OZ Crystal 40L
4OZ Crystal 120L
1OZ Black Patent Malt

Hops
60 min
23g Chinook
-15 min
21g Cascade
7g Centennial
-10 min
7g Topaz
-5 min
14g Centennial
14g Topaz
7g Cascade
-Whirlpool
5g Chinook
7g Topaz
7g Centennial

Congrats on the great score, and making the beer work! Regarding the floating dry hops, with whole hops you just have to wait for them to submerge, or weight them down in a hop bag to sink(I use sanitized glass marbles).

At 4 oz. Black malt the beer was brown? right?

Cheers,

Tim

Back