India Brown Ale recipe, critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first shot at an India Brown Ale. I basically just using ingredients I have on hand. Take a look at it and let me know if there are any ingredients that definitely should be changed. Thanks.

12 lb American 2-row
.75 lb Amber Malt
.5 lb White Wheat
.5 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley

1 1/8 oz 10.6% a.a. Magnum for 60 min
.5 oz 10.6% a.a. Norther Brewer for 30 min
1 oz 5.1% a.a. Tettnanger for 20 min
.5 lb Brown Sugar for 10 min
1 oz 5.1% a.a. Tettnanger at flame out
.5 oz 7.2% a.a. Kent Goldings at flame out

I'm not sure what kind of yeast to use either. I have:
Nottingham
Safale S-04
Wyeast Irish Ale 1084
Wyeast German Ale 1007
I could also buy some US-05 tomorrow if an american yeast is highly recommended.

OG= 1.070
FG=1.018
Color=23
Alc=6.9%
Bitterness=63
eff=75%

thought I'd mash in at 154F for an hour and boil for an hour.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'd suggest mashing a little cooler, like ~152... Will help it finish a little lower. I have liked what you get from Wyeast 1084 when I've used it... Haven't used the others...

I've not used white wheat in any of my brews so far, so I can't say what that will give the brew... The IBU's are more than I would go with, but if that's what you like, go for it...

If possible, I would leave out the brown sugar... My first brews had honey in them... Now I'm going with just what I get from the grain. Finding I'm enjoying the brews better this way. Not to say the others weren't good, I just like tasting just the grain in my brews now...

Just curious why you picked all German hops... Except for the EKG at flame out...

The magnum and Tettnanger are just what I happened to have, I brew a lot of Kolsch. Original recipe I was looking at used Warrior and Vanguard which are not obtainable at my LHBS. Vanguard is close to Saaz and Hallertau so I figured I'd stick with a noble hop. The wheat I just added for a bit of head retention.

Then the only thing I would change (maybe) would be the mash temp... Unless you were looking to have a fuller body to it (and slightly higher FG)...

I'd probably mash for an 60-90 minutes, then sparge for 15-30 minutes before going to the boil... But that's with my setup...

Just to follow up, this beer came out ok, but not nearly enough hop flavor/aroma. It really just ended up being a Brown ale with an abv of around 7.4%. Doesn't taste bad, but it certainly isn't what I was hoping for.

Back