India Black Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akuyper

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at an India Black Ale, CDA, Black IPA. This is about my 10th batch I have brewed and 3rd partial mash (closest to all grain as you get can, though). I would love to hear what others have to say about the recipe. I constructed it based off of many other IBA recipes and also from my experience with IBA's. It is certainly not the darkest and roastiest of IBA's, but I am for that. So here it is. This is a 4 gallon batch by the way due to my lack of a larger kettle.

Mash (153 for 60 minutes):

4.5 lbs. American 2-Row
1 lb. Munich
10 oz. Crystal 40L
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz. Caramunich
6 oz. Carafa II
4 oz. Chocolate

1 lb. LDME

Hops (Estimated 70 IBU):

.65 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA) - 60 mins
.75 oz Citra (12% AA) - 20 mins
.75 oz. Centennial (8% AA) - 15-10 mins
.25 oz. Cascade (6% AA) - 15-10 mins
.75 Cascade - 0 min
.25 Centennial - 0 min
1 oz Cascade - dry hop
.5 oz Simcoe - dry hop
Yeast - US-05

Came to an O.G. of 1.067

I'd be inclined to think that the carafa and chocolate malts will bring too much roast to things, making it closer to a hoppy stout than a BIPA. I'd replace them both with dehusked Carafa, as that'll still give you a little roastiness, but not as much as you'll get with your current version.

Are you not dryhopping? I don't think you'll get much hop aroma out of your current schedule, especially with the roasty grains you have planned. You might want to add at least an ounce to 1.5oz of some mix of centennial and cascade (or purely one of them) to the secondary.

Then again, it sounds like you've already brewed it, so let me know if I'm completely wrong :).

I didn't clarify, but the carafa is dehusked. From what I tasted of the wort, it wasn't too roasty, but we will see what happens with fementation.

I am planning on dry hopping. I will most likely do 1 oz of cascade and .5 or so of simcoe or centennial.

I would have nixed the chocolate. I did a BIPA a few months back and used 4 oz of carafa III and it was still a bit roasty for me. I would go with the simcoe for the dry hop and boost it to an ounce, but thats just me.

Latest posts

Back