incremental sugar addition for strong ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moti_mo

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with incremental sugar addition to help ensure fermentation to dryness for strong ales? I am brewing an all-grain Belgian Strong, used Wyeast 1388 (Belgian Strong). In addition to my grain bill, I used 1 pound of Belgian candi sugar (the light rock-candy variety) 15 minutes before the boil's end. Post-boil, I had a gravity of ~1.088 (~11% pot. abv), and its fermenting away nicely now. I want to ensure getting a ~10-11% a.b.v. Belgian when its all said and done, and from recent experience, I assume if I do nothing else, I'll end up at ~8.5%. I have another pound of candi sugar left that I was thinking of adding during primary fermentation, since I've heard this is a good way to pep up the yeasts after a few days of fermentation. Anybody have any suggestions on exactly how I should approach this? Ex: half a pound on day 3, half a pound on day 6? One pound on day 3? Any ideas on how much new a.b.v. I can expect from the one pound addition of candi sugar? Thanks

Rouse the yeast first and take a hydrometer reading to see where your at. Also If you just add the candy sugar it will take a while for the yeast to eat away at that, so dissolve it in a little water. Just keep taking readings to see where your at. If your not quite there then add some more sugar.

Thanks. Any idea how much each ~pound of candy sugar bumps up the alcohol, as an estimate?

1 pound of candi sugar adds about 38 points per gallon. So in a 5 gallon batch, it would add ~ 7 points to your OG, or roughly 0.8% abv.

You will get a significant amount of bubbling when you add a bunch of candi sugar to the fermenter. Be forewarned if you are topped up.

one correction.
DME 1 lb = 45 points
LME 1 lb = 37 points
Sugar 1 lb = 45 points

Candi sugar is a lot closer to 45 points than 37 points so it will give you 9 points in 5 gallons. 9 points per gallon will equal an additional 1.2% ABV. According to FermCalc

Thanks for the tips. I'm at day 2, still high krausen. I was prepared for the extra activity, have plenty of room for the bubbles, so I should be OK. Tossed a pound in there (boiled in a cup or so of water), so we'll see how it turns out. Didn't take a hydrometer reading because I'm tired so I'll just estimate that it gave me ~ another 1% a.b.v.

Good activity this morning after adding the candi sugar last night, smells really good through the air-lock. Wish I could drink it soon instead of waiting several months, but oh well...

one correction.
DME 1 lb = 45 points
LME 1 lb = 37 points
Sugar 1 lb = 45 points

Candi sugar is a lot closer to 45 points than 37 points so it will give you 9 points in 5 gallons. 9 points per gallon will equal an additional 1.2% ABV. According to FermCalc

that's odd...the sugar should be much more fermentable than the DME...i would check that.

incremental additions of sugars, extracts is very beneficial to strong ales. it helps keep it clean and helps it ferment completely.

adding at high krausen is ideal, but a little after isn't a big deal...those yeast will wake right back up!
:mug:

Back