Incremental Crashing & Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I brought this up on a different thread, and am repeating it here to see if anybody else has tried this and what success or failure they have had.

I have very limited space and equipment, and my normal batch is 1.5 or 2.5 gallons, which allows me to use the equipment I have and keep the number of stored bottles down. I don't have a fridge for temp control or crashing.........though I will be installing some sort of simple temp control system for fermentation.

It occurred to me last weekend that there really is no reason I need to bottle an entire 2.5 gallon batch at one time......... Not that bottling it all is a problem, but I wanted to cold crash this batch for clarity, and have limited fridge space.

The strategy was to mix bottling sugar for one gallon..... (I add the sugar to a small amount of water and boil it).... Then put it in a one gallon spigot jar (Ice tea jug), and refrigerate for several days. This clarified it beautifully, and I bottled my first gallon today, and without removing sediment, I added the second gallon to the jar. I'll probably bottle that Saturday. It's a "can do" system.

I was cautioned about bottling sugar being consumed in the fridge.......... I have my doubts about that, and in a few weeks, time will tell.

I'm interested in hearing if anybody else had done it this way??

H.W.

Back