Incredibly lucky food and beer pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
So my company sent me to the big city for a few days and they are wont to do periodically. As is my habit, I dropped in to my HBS to pick up some supplies. (Getting my 50 lb CO2 tank hooked up to multiple regs). I had forgotten that the is one of the founding members of the Winnipeg Brew Bombers (word play on Winnipeg Blue Bombers, our local football club) and tonight (last night) is the meeting.

They had arranged a beer and food pairing event sponsored by the Liquor Control Commission in Winnipeg. For $30 you get to sample many different types of imported and domestic beer, all paired with dishes selected to complement each brew. Not only that, each dish is PREPARED with the brew you are sampling. The even took place in the liquor store in a kitchen off the back that was built especially for beer and wine sampling.

We started off the night with a lobster and shrimp bisque that was paired with a Duvel and Gulden Draak, both of the Belgian style. We then progressed into Sushi (smoked Goldeye, crab with whitefish caviar, and peppers) paired with Hoegaarden and Snowfresh, both wheat beers.

Next on the menu, in the spirit of Dim Sum (sp?), we had buns stuffed with spiced pork and steamed and baked. This dish was paired with Fort Garry Dark, and a Morroco ale, both dark ales. We then progressed to Braised Bison with stir fried vegetables paired with Little Scrapper IPA and Pedigree ale, both in the IPA style.

For dessert we had Chocolate Cherry Beer Cake and ice cream made from the syrup of the cherries. This was paired with Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Rochefort 10, another stout.

What a wonderful spontaneous night. Up to that point the night was just going to be sitting in the peace and quiet of a hotel room yakking at you guys and watching TV. Yeah, it was wing night in my hotel and they have Guinness on tap, but I just couldn't bring myself to go there alone. The beer and food made wing night a distant second.

Evan! said:
Wow, I had no idea Rochefort was making a stout now. Sweeeet!

So he called a quad a stout, big deal...

Sounds like it was great night, I wish the LCBO would step up and do something similar.

My absolute favorite food pairing is Chocolate cake (Preferably O'Charlies or homemade by the amazing baking of SWMBO) and Rouge's Cholocate Stout. AMAZING!!!! makes me do this... :ban: :ban: Alot! A very close second is fried fish (preferably Mississippi Catfish homefried in a cornmeal flower) paired with any real crisp clean ale or lager. The hotter the fish, the better!

Schlante,
Phillip

Hmmm..... reminds me of the night the second leg of my flight was cancelled in Charlotte south carolina. A boring night in a boring hotel in a city where I had no car was made so much more enjoyable by a young woman also stranded........oh dear. Well I guess that was a pairing of a different kind.

Err....Sounds like you had fun too.

But seriously, that sounds really cool. I love great food and great beer. A guy once tried to tell me that beer shouldn't be consumed with food, that it is too filling. Wine goes better with food.

Oh man. I had a good laugh at that....still get a tear in my eye.

Dang.....last time I was in Winnipeg I was searching around for good beer. Couldn't find much in the LQ store we stopped in. When we got to St. Ambroise, they didn't have anything for sure!!

At least I know there is good beer there. I'll have to hit you up if I ever go back. It's some beautiful country up there, thats for sure. And the people were super nice. :mug:

freyguy said:
Dang.....last time I was in Winnipeg I was searching around for good beer. Couldn't find much in the LQ store we stopped in. When we got to St. Ambroise, they didn't have anything for sure!!

At least I know there is good beer there. I'll have to hit you up if I ever go back. It's some beautiful country up there, thats for sure. And the people were super nice. :mug:

Absolutely give me a call. There's some good homebrew that can be sampled by wandering strangers too! :tank:

Back