Incredible hop growth during PA heat wave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7Enigma

Reaction score
Hello foks,

We had an amazing heat wave this past weekend (still today and tomorrow in the upper 80's) and the hops went nuts. These are second year hops that are on the south side and get sunlight pretty much the entire day but I was just shocked at the growth rate. Prior to this heat wave we had torrential rains that had me afraid of root rot so there was plently of water for them to grow, plenty of sunlight, and ample nutrients as I use my own homemade compost.

I'll grab a picture later today but how does 0.25" per HOUR sound. That's right we are talking near 6" PER DAY of growth. And I am NOT trimming the bines on these plants and so they have shot up 20 or so bines with a good 4-7 per plant growing at this rate (those that are tall enough to train). I had marked my sisal twine with a permanent black marker and thought it had worn off in the sun for some reason because I couldn't find the marks....until I looked down so far I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was so crazy you could see an inch of growth in an hour or two (seemed to grow faster when it was sunny, with not so much growth overnight).

Prior to this heatwave on Thursday the Nugget hop plant was at about at my chest, and last night it was over my head. I've actually maxed out on my lightpost out front and have no clue what to do (I hadn't planned on making this one very tall).

So gimme your stories folks, anyone in the area with second + year plants did you experience a similar growth explosion?

:tank:

The growth was so rapid I think I may try to see if my camera has a time lapse setting and put it on a tripod to watch the growth. It was unreal.

My parents came over for lunch and I showed them the hops when they arrived, and when they left 2 hours later the hops had grown almost an inch in that time!

I got 12" to 18" with my fuggles on Saturday (Second year). No bull. I was just amazed when I spotted that on Saturday night. I also got 12" on my EKG that were barely above ground on friday night.

I am a VERY happy camper!

Congrats guys!

First year grower, and I was just happy that mine are starting to poke out from the ground (only been planted for one week).

We got mid 80's on fri followed by 90 or higher both Sat and Sun expected to continue for 2 more days. My hops were already several feet I'd say they grew about another foot this weekend though. :rockin:

A foot a day isn't unusual under ideal conditions. I had three hot days last week and all of my hops finally sprouted with some growing 18" or more, but it turned cold (28F) again and not much has happened since. June and July are when things get crazy.

It is an awsome thing to realize but, not unsusual for hops. Even more interesting is that they are also nocturnal. Don't believe me? Mark your twine at the top of the bine at sunset and check it first thing in the morning.

Over the warmest of nights I have seen 6" of growth by the next morning.

I got the same thing here in Indianapolis on Saturday. Friday night I measured and my Centennial were up to my shoulder. By end of Saturday they were above my head.

You got me thinking so I went home over lunch to check mine.

Looks like one of my Cascades grow nearly a foot last night. I new they could do it but this is the first time I noticed it.

Eastern Shore of Maryland here. Its been in the 90s since Saturday and will continue through tomorrow. My Williamette took off yesterday. Grew probably 5 inches. I've got a bunch of new sprouts on my cascade but nothing really growing upwards. Im going to cut some of them back today. My Nugget took off 2 weeks ago when it was still kind of cool but have since slowed down. They are all 1st year so IM not expecting miracles but at least now I can put my twine up for the Williamette. Hopefully the others will be along shortly. Cheers

I havent measured my bine since middle school.

My Bine is bigger than your Bine! :D

In Iowa about a 12" over the weekend is about right. Today is cool and rainy. As soon as it gets hot again I'll get to see another growth spurt.

This is my cascade on Friday. Right now two out of three are wrapped on the main line.

2009_hops_April_002.jpg

The nugget has all three touching the main line.

2009_hops_April_001.jpg

Experiencing the heat wave here too, I think I can finally leave my plants out overnight it shouldn't dip below freezing anymore. One of my plants grew a few inches the rest are going to have to sprout again after a lost battle against some cold wind on Easter Sunday resulted in most of the bines being bent over and dying.

Experiencing the heat wave here too, I think I can finally leave my plants out overnight it shouldn't dip below freezing anymore. One of my plants grew a few inches the rest are going to have to sprout again after a lost battle against some cold wind on Easter Sunday resulted in most of the bines being bent over and dying.

We had the same weather here. They are rather sturdy, robust and resilient plants. If those don't get going several other sprouts will pop up in their place. It just needs to be warm for awhile.
:fro:

Even though my five rhizomes are 1st years, the heat wave triggered some big time growth in Western MD. My Galena grew over a foot in one week, while the others are coming along strong. If this is a preview of summer growth, my 15 ft trellis system is woefully inadequate! :drunk: Viva Global Warming!!!

Hops-4_19_09.jpg

only one week later...

Hops-4_27_09.jpg

Glad to see this thread is taking off! I didnt' take any pictures since it seemed like my experience was not unique, but now maybe I will. Schlenkerla, I love the first picture, as that is how both my Nugget and my Cascade's look. I just let everything grow, no clipping of the bines and they look like bushes right now. Since they are only second year, and my support is only 5-10 feet depending on the plant, I have no need to limit the # of bines. Instead I'm going to try something like a topiary once I get enough of them.

Another 90 degree day today so we'll see what happens. I'm actually glad for the cooldown and rain expected tomorrow. With all the previous rain I didn't want to water for fear of root rot, but after the last couple days I'm sure some rain is needed around the roots. I may also have to chuck down some more compost to replenish the nutrients around the plants.

Magnj, I've found that if a bine is hopelessly damaged (say from a bad frost) it's better to cleanly cut it off at the base. Otherwise it seems to sap the strength of the plant, doesn't really grow anyway, and you risk disease. Just cut your losses when this happens and trim the bine off.

Schlenkerla, I love the first picture, as that is how both my Nugget and my Cascade's look. I just let everything grow, no clipping of the bines and they look like bushes right now. Since they are only second year, and my support is only 5-10 feet depending on the plant, I have no need to limit the # of bines. Instead I'm going to try something like a topiary once I get enough of them.

I'd try to rig up a pole of some sort. The pruning a clipping is important to keep mold and mildew at bay. I lost a good bit of my nugget yield last year to this white powdery growth.

One way to retard it using a baking soda and water spray on the leaves. One needs to start early. I will be pruning these plants sometime this week.

Manure Tea is good at this too. That's why that black bucket is sitting there. I call it my zap-tap-crap lauter tun. Got the idea from TCJOHB.

We had the same weather here. They are rather sturdy, robust and resilient plants. If those don't get going several other sprouts will pop up in their place. It just needs to be warm for awhile.
:fro:

Thanks for the optimistic words of wisdom. Trying to get this garden dug out but 15ftx4ftx2ft is a lot of dirt for one man and one shovel lol.

Thanks for the optimistic words of wisdom. Trying to get this garden dug out but 15ftx4ftx2ft is a lot of dirt for one man and one shovel lol.

You need to borrow a small tiller. I normally do a 8x30 ft plot for the garden. I did it by hand just once. Its no fun.

You could go the topsy-turvy route. Substitute hops for tomatos. :D

"Its backbreaking work and your hops could still wind up on the ground!"

I'd try to rig up a pole of some sort. The pruning a clipping is important to keep mold and mildew at bay. I lost a good bit of my nugget yield last year to this white powdery growth.

One way to retard it using a baking soda and water spray on the leaves. One needs to start early. I will be pruning these plants sometime this week.

Manure Tea is good at this too. That's why that black bucket is sitting there. I call it my zap-tap-crap lauter tun. Got the idea from TCJOHB.

These are second year plants. The Nugget trains up a light post at the front of the house onto 5 different sisal ropes into a teepee structure. The cascades I have a permanent 10' pole that in the spring I rig up with about 10 ropes. I've been training them for a couple weeks, but just decided not to trim the bines at the base for another couple weeks/month. Then I'll trim off any new bines, but will try to keep 20 or so for each plant and weave them up the rope. I make sure to keep good air movement at the base of the plants (remove all surounding grass, make sure the compost layer is very shallow above the rhizome). So while densely planted, there is still good air movement. But I'll keep an eye out in case it gets too croweded.

We got some much needed rain after the 5 day heat wave, and the temps are back to a fantastic 60F. Tonight it's going into the high 40's so I'm very glad we are back to normal spring PA weather. This sudden growth I'm hoping benefits the cone production later in the year as by this time I doubt they should be 7ft tall!

These are second year plants. The Nugget trains up a light post at the front of the house onto 5 different sisal ropes into a teepee structure. The cascades I have a permanent 10' pole that in the spring I rig up with about 10 ropes. I've been training them for a couple weeks, but just decided not to trim the bines at the base for another couple weeks/month. Then I'll trim off any new bines, but will try to keep 20 or so for each plant and weave them up the rope. I make sure to keep good air movement at the base of the plants (remove all surounding grass, make sure the compost layer is very shallow above the rhizome). So while densely planted, there is still good air movement. But I'll keep an eye out in case it gets too croweded.

We got some much needed rain after the 5 day heat wave, and the temps are back to a fantastic 60F. Tonight it's going into the high 40's so I'm very glad we are back to normal spring PA weather. This sudden growth I'm hoping benefits the cone production later in the year as by this time I doubt they should be 7ft tall!

Mine will be 7' tall in just a few weeks. By harvest time they will be a month past the max growth period. Mine will be at least 20' long by then.

:rockin:

I have had a similar good growth experience in Allentown, PA with my 2nd year Hops. Willamette and Santium are now over 6 feet, Golding is lagging at only about 1 1/2 ft. My two new rhizomes, just planted a little over a week ago (in time for the rain and heat wave) are breaking ground and leafing out!
I've got a 10 foot tall PVC trellis with 15 foot cross poles at the top. I'm hoping the worst problems I have this year are figuring out which hops are which if the bines get mixed together at the top!

I'm hoping the worst problems I have this year are figuring out which hops are which if the bines get mixed together at the top!

That can be a serious problem if you want to bitter with them. Late or dry hopping not so much!! Might be hard to replicate year after year.

Same experience here (west of Philly). I didn't measure them, but they probably grew 12-18 inches over the last weekend (also second year bines). The weekend before they were just breaking ground up to 6 inches.

Back