Increasing carbonation of already bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
Ok, I made a mistake calculating the amount of priming sugar I needed in my Dunkelweizen (I left Beersmiths bottling temperature at the default 68°, so I only used about half what I should have. They've been bottled almost two months and I am sure they are carbed as much as they will be). Since I just got some Munton's Carb Tabs I thought it would be a simple thing to pop the top, drop in two tabs and re-cap. Unh uh! Can you say "gusher"?!! Maybe, if I was really fast, and had someone helping me, I could drop them in and get the cap sealed before much foam came out...

So, is there any feasible way of upping the carb level? As I am writing I just realized it would help if I chilled them first.... Any other tips?

right off hand i would say leave them alone and remember for next time. as soon as you pop the top you will start losing bubbles. if you add to many carb tabs you run the risk of exploding your bottles.

Back