Increasing Body of Oatmeal Stout - After Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadillacAndy

Reaction score
So tried my first all grain brew using the BIAB method. This one followed Yooper's Oatmeal Stout recipe.

Long story short, the bag I used ended up breaking and sparging was very inefficient (total efficiency had to have been less than 50%). I proceed with the boil and ended up straining all the grains out and then cooled the wort down quickly.

I took a OG reading and it was very low - somewhere around 1.035 or so. In a "panic" I decided to add dextrose in order to get the OG up to around 1.052. In retrospect, I could have probably reboiled some of it and added DME and I wouldn't have this problem.

The beer has been in primary now for about 2 weeks and tastes great. The problem is that the beer is very "thin" - not at all like a typical Stout. Is there a way to thicken it now after the fact? I was thinking about mashing a pound of flaked oats, straining and reducing the liquid and then adding that into my beer, and letting if ferment out for another week or so. Is there any else that anyone would recommend at this point?

I have 1/2lb of flaked barley sitting around, as well as a few bags of DME (amber and light) that I could use to fix the problem if anyone thinks they would work better, or a combo of things would work better.

Thanks in advance for the help!:mug:

Adding dextrose, which is 100% fermentable, made for a thin body. DME would have been better.
Unless you have some alpha enzyme around, you can't mash flaked oats by themselves. Nothing you listed will help much, but more DME would be your best bet.

I'd add 8 oz of Malto dextrin.

Thanks for the advice. At least I'm learning enough to have recognized my mistake, so that's a good thing!

I'll go the DME route and see what happens. Thanks again!

Adding dextrose, which is 100% fermentable, made for a thin body. DME would have been better.
Unless you have some alpha enzyme around, you can't mash flaked oats by themselves. Nothing you listed will help much, but more DME would be your best bet.

I'd add 8 oz of Malto dextrin.

How did you arrive at the 8 oz of malto-dextrin? Is this the typical amount for 5 gallons? I have a similar issue with a session/partigyle of sorts that I am experimenting with.

Back