Increasing bitterness???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernstisatide

Reaction score
Hi,
I hope someone can help me. I love well-brewed IPAs with that distinct bitter aftertaste. I have so far tried Cooper's and Munton's IPA kits. Cooked the wort, added 1 kg of additional unhopped malt extracts, added hops in museline bags after three days of fermenting etc etc. What I get is a full-bodied (pleasant tasting), high alcohol beer ( 4 batches so far). The problem is that it tastes more like a German Bock (decidedly on the sweet side) and not the very bitter IPA I was aiming for. What do I need to do really add the bitter aftertaste of a well made IPA? Looking forward to some advice

Thanks
Chris

Hey Chris,
At least things are turning out like something good. how many ounces are you adding to dry hop? Also what are your late addition hops(20min to flame out)? Are you using the yeast that comes with the kit or something else? Did you take the OG/FG on these? A little more info can help narrow it down.

Imp

Welcome to home brewing!

For IPAs you need to boil hops. The hopped malt extracts, if you're using those, are not hoppy enough, they won't offend many, but also not please others. Look in the beginners and extract brewing forums and look up some threads on IPA recipes to get an idea what you need to do. Buy IPA kits that include steeping grains, unhopped malt extract, and hops, or assemble your own from ingredients you can buy at your homebrew shop or order online. Buy Safale US-05 yeast if you can, it makes great clean IPAs.

For good and bitter IPAs you would need to do full boils or nearly full boils to get the bitterness (IBUs) without diluting it afterwards.

Enjoy the journey!

I would look at your FG, if it's too high you're getting a more malty character. I would move away from kits and into DME that is fairly light, it will also emphasize hopiness.

Could you perhaps post your latest recipe in detail, including batch volume, so we can perhaps point you in the right direction?

Back