Increase in Volume When Grain is Added?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-in

Reaction score
Hi Team,

Could you all give me an idea of the volume increase in the kettle when you add grains.

Another way to ask is:

Assume 8 gallons of water (making a 5 gallon batch) .

When I add grain basket, what can I expect for the new volume? Maybe 10 gallons for a medium gravity beer? Just looking for an approximate range...

Thanks

So basically you are trying to determine grain absorption numbers right? I have heard anywhere from 1/10 of a gallon of water per pound of grain up to 1/5 of a gallon per pound of grain. I tend to follow the 1/5 of a gallon of water to 1 pound of grain. So, for me, if I am doing a 5 gallom batch, with 15 pounds of grain, I know I will lose 3 gallons of water, which will leave me with 5 to the kettle (15lb x 1/5 =3) So now say I am making a 5 gallon batch again, but with 10lbs of grain (10 x 1/5 =2) Well I know now that I will lose 2 gallons to the grain. Long story short, the dead space in your system will effect these numbers, but to be short and sweet, I expect to lose 1 gallon of water for every 5 pounds of grain I have. Hope that helps...

so let me see if I have this.

To end up with 8 gallons of wort for boiling.

If using 15 pounds of grain.

you would need to start with 11 gallons of water.

Once 15 pounds of grain are added, that 11 gallons of water plus grain will take up 12.2 gallons...

Do I have all that correct?

Once 15 pounds of grain are added, that 11 gallons of water plus grain will take up 12.2 gallons...

so one would need a 15 gallon pot to make this work?

No wrong.

This is BIAB and the grain absorption amounts were given to you are applicable to traditional mashing.

For my BIAB setup I see 0.045 gallons of absorption per pound of grain. This is not hard to achieve. My recipes are formulated at 80% brewhouse efficiency.

I use an 11 gallon pot for 5.5 gallon batches. Heres what the grain bag with 9lbs looks like after lautering.

9lbs grain in squeezed bag atop a colander Squeezed Bag.jpg

if you use the higher figures for grain absorption you will end up with far too much volume of sweet-wort.

I'd be using the following approximate figures for total water needed

Batch size+
Boil off(hour as default)+
trub loss/deadspace in chiller+
cooling shrinkage (4%) +
grain absorbtion at 0.045g/lb =

5.5+1+0.25+0.25+0.75 = 7.75 gallons of strike water

-0.75gallons lost to absorption

=7 gallons of preboil (for 1 hour boil)
=6 gallons post boil
- 0.5 gallons trub/deadspace/hop absorption/shrinkage
=5.5 gallons to FV
-0.5 gallons FV losses

= 5 gallons of tasty beer.

so one would need a 15 gallon pot to make this work?

Only if doing a full-volume mash. You could mash with less water in a smaller pot and do a dunk sparge (or other sparge method) to get the remaining wort volume.

Back