Increase carbonation level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitefoam

Reaction score
My Hefeweizen beer has very low carbonation. It is not pleasant to drink so I decided to fix the low carbonation. After I discovered the low carbonation, I conditioned the beer 3 months in the bottle at room temperature hoping it would help increase the carbonation, but it didn't unfortunately.

I think the cause of the low carbonation might because I didn't put the entire dextrose bag I was given. I only put about 4 oz of dextrose. I looked up the priming table and Hefeweizen requires 7.5 oz as it's highly carbonated.

But still with 4 oz, I would expect a low-to-average carbonation level, which I'm not seeing (it's very low, almost nothing). So I'm not sure what might have happened. At the time of priming 3 months ago, I mixed the dextrose with 1 cup of boiling water and poured the mix into the wort without stirring. One of the instructions said that the pressure of the hot water causes the sweet mix to evenly distribute in the wort without the need for stirring. But next time, I will make sure to stir with a sanitized long spoon just in case.

This is my 7th batch and I've had this problem only happen once before with a witbier. However, the carbonation increased and was sufficient after 3 months with that previous batch.

Now, on to the solution. I am trying to determine if I should add just extra sugar in each bottle and recap, or add sugar and a drop of new yeast. I don't want to add too many things and run the risk of the bottles exploding. :)
So I added just a little sugar (a tip of a teaspoon) into a bottle which was stored at room temperature. The sugar was immediately sucked into the bottle and caused a lot of little bubbles to go up, and foam to be ejected out of the bottle. Same happened with a few other bottles. Does this mean that the yeast is still healthy and was working on the sugar?

If the yeast is still indeed healthy and active, I don't want to add more yeast. I will only add more sugar. The only problem is the overflowing foam, which empties the bottle a bit and creates more headspace. As an alternative, I can empty all bottles in a mini keg, pour all the beer in it, add sugar, and seal. Then wait two weeks and see.

I was told that it's bad to empty the bottles into a container because this would cause oxidation. And oxidation worsens the flavor of beer.

If you were me, would you try this last experiment at saving this beer, namely emptying the bottles into a container and adding sugar? Would you add new yeast too in addition to sugar? Or shall I just forget about this batch?

So I added just a little sugar (a tip of a teaspoon) into a bottle which was stored at room temperature. The sugar was immediately sucked into the bottle and caused a lot of little bubbles to go up, and foam to be ejected out of the bottle. Same happened with a few other bottles. Does this mean that the yeast is still healthy and was working on the sugar?
No, yeast can't eat that fast ;) Chances are the sugar dumped in served as nucleation points for the CO2 already in there, causing it to foam up...search for MEA - "mead explosion accidents," the result of adding granulated yeast nutrient to already fermenting mead - can be rather "dramatic" (read messy) .... it's just basic physics, the nucleation point thing, not instant additional fermenting...

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know about the nucleation point! I saw some videos online that show how the coke can shoot out of the bottle when mentos are added. That's cool to see. Didn't know about that.

Should I add new yeast in addition to sugar? Assuming that I can control the excessive foaming with the contact of sugar, for example, by pouring the bottles into a bucket. Then I can empty the bucket into a growler after the addition of sugar and yeast. The flavor might not be good any longer with this but it will be an experiment. :)

Adding the sugar to each bottle, when the beer is near freezing may limit the foaming. Partially frozen would definitely prevent foaming.

Adding a sugar solution may prevent foaming.

Drop a carbonation tablet into each bottle. Do so with a new cap in the other hand, and slam it on before anything can fizz out too much. I expect that'd be much easier than any powdered sugar - and far more consistent in terms of dosing.

Drop a carbonation tablet into each bottle. Do so with a new cap in the other hand, and slam it on before anything can fizz out too much. I expect that'd be much easier than any powdered sugar - and far more consistent in terms of dosing.

This is probably the way to go - just make sure that if you go this route, you get the small carbonation tablets (the ones that are meant to add a few to each bottle to get the desired carbonation level, I think Muntons makes them - not the large tablets that are meant to be one per bottle). Since you clearly have some amount of carbonation in the bottle, you probably only need 1-2 of the small tablets to boost the carbonation level to what you are wanting. Of course, there is that risk that it may still foam out the top (like the Mentos and Coke thing mentioned below)...

I would try fixing 2-3 bottles this way and then let them sit for 1-2 weeks and test them to see if they're where you want them before doing the entire batch and still not being happy with the results.

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know about the nucleation point! I saw some videos online that show how the coke can shoot out of the bottle when mentos are added. That's cool to see. Didn't know about that.

Should I add new yeast in addition to sugar? Assuming that I can control the excessive foaming with the contact of sugar, for example, by pouring the bottles into a bucket. Then I can empty the bucket into a growler after the addition of sugar and yeast. The flavor might not be good any longer with this but it will be an experiment. :)

Saw the same mentos reaction on Impractical Jokers, at the grocery checkout. Love that show...

Thanks much all for your tips! I found small carbonation tablets on this site: https://www.homebrewing.org/Prime-Tab_p_1986.html
I'll get them and will try them. I'm glad I can try something and hopefully these won't cause the foaming issue.

Meanwhile, I'll shake the bottles in case the yeast has settled and will move them to another location that might be a little warmer.

I'll post again in a few weeks to give an update on the eventual outcome.

Good times!
:mug:

I've had issues before with carbonation. If you want to add a little more sugar, just sprinkle it in very slowly. I don't really see a reason to hold out on sprinkling in a little yeast as well. A packet of Saflager 34/70 sells for about $5 and if you are careful you can divide it over a good number of bottles. It would eliminate another variable.

I did this with a pumpkin ale I brewed and it turned out decently carbonated. Didn't have great foam retention, but I'm starting to add some flaked barley to my mashes to take care of that.

Back