Increase alcohol level in already kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkwaggoner

Reaction score
Is it possible to increase the alcohol level in beer that has already been kegged? We were in a hurry to keg it before we left on vacation and when we got back and checked the alcohol level it was only 3% :-( is there a way to increase the level once it has already been kegged?

I translate that to mean you believe this brew never finished fermentation, and you're wondering what you can do about it.

Assuming you racked off the original yeast cake so there isn't a whole lot of yeast left, I suppose you could let the keg warm up to the high 60s then pitch a couple of hydrated packs of dry yeast and see what happens...

Cheers!

Yes, that's the just of it... Do you suppose I would need to add more corn sugar as well with yeast?

What did your recipe predict would be the Final Specific Gravity and ABV of this batch? Assuming it was indeed significantly higher than where you think it is now, how did you determine the current ABV was 3%?

Bottom line, if the recipe expected a significantly lower FG/higher ABV, adding more fermentables would be the nuclear option (ie: attempting to "dry out" a brew by adding virtually 100% fermentable sugars). Better would be to have yeast finish the job that was apparently interrupted to begin with.

I'd get the beer up to a yeast friendly temperature and add a lot of yeast, and see what happens. Worst-case, you crash-cool the batch for a week to drop everything back out, chill and carb, and have something you can pour over ice...

Cheers!

Back