Inconsistent Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spage

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have about 30 batches behind me and thought I had my procedures down - until now. In December I brewed a huge Scotch ale, about 1.102 OG. It finished at around 10%ABV and I bulk aged for 3 months. I then bottled, making sure to scrape up some of the yeast, and the beer has been in bottles for almost 3 months now. I have had in the last month:

5 bottles - no carb at all
1 bottle - PERFECT carbonation
1 bottle - explode

When bottling, I boiled about 20oz of water and dissolved 3/4 cup of priming sugar in the boiling water. I dumped this into the bottling bucket and racked on top of it.

Has anyone else had issues with priming when using this procedure? Is there a chance it just didn't mix? I know for sure the sugar was dissolved in the boiling water.

Thanks,

This is interesting, as what you did is my procedure as well. Sugar in bottling bucket, then quietly rack on top of it... I got nothing. Anyone? I'm interested as well.:confused:

I'm thinking the priming sugar still didn't get mixed in properly. I rack onto mine, but then I give in a gentle stir before and once or twice during bottling just to make sure it stays mixed in.

You also will want to look at getting a scale to measure out your priming sugar. Sugar can be packed differently so 3/4 cup on one day might be more or less sugar than another day. Weight always stays the same.

Back