Inconsistent carbonation from bottle to bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Details...
Step 1
3/4 cup LD Carson corn sugar
16 oz. water
Bring to boil, cool to about 100 degrees
Step 2
Santitize everything while sugar is boiling/cooling...I have one of those "pump bottle sanitizers" I go ahead and sanitize all bottles at this point.
Step 3
Pour the priming solution into the bucket.
Take the auto-siphon and ever-so-gently stir the yeast on the button just a little, probably don't need to do that...but I do.
Rack the beer, allow the beer flowing out of the tube to "spin" the beer to mix up the priming sugar.
Step 4
Bottle and cap, I have gotten good enough with the filler wand to time it just right to only get about 1" head space...you could line my bottles up and I doubt very much there is more than 1/8" difference between them.
I cap using the Red Baron capper. I am careful to be squared up and apply a solid amount of pressure.
Step 5
I store the bottles room temp (pretty consistent 70 degrees) for 3 weeks before I open any. Most bottles I drink have been bottled fot 4 weeks or longer.
Step 6
I refrigerate for at least 48 hours, but again many are in there for a week or longer.

Problem...out of about 49-50 bottles I will have 3-4 pretty flat bottles (maybe this is normal?) as well as 2 or 3 over-carbed bottles (normal?)
But overall the carbing is not very consistent. Pouring in a standard side of glass/finish pour down the center - I might get 1/4 inch head to a full inch or more. Some having a prefect carb "bite" that cleanses the palate as it should - others lack the carb bite and is like drinking cold tea with just a hint of carb.

Help?

Thanks for any response....cheers.

Your process is pretty solid. Two things:

1. Do not stir up the yeast, just not necessary and you are deaf eating the purposes of the beer clearing
2. After racking the beer, gently stir to ensure a good mix
3. Be sure all caps are solidly placed on all bottles.

It's possible the under carbonated beers just need another week and the overs got a little more priming solution which the gentle stir should even out.

Your process is pretty solid. Two things:

1. Do not stir up the yeast, just not necessary and you are deaf eating the purposes of the beer clearing
2. After racking the beer, gently stir to ensure a good mix
3. Be sure all caps are solidly placed on all bottles.

It's possible the under carbonated beers just need another week and the overs got a little more priming solution which the gentle stir should even out.

I will try the gentle stir at the end...can't hurt as long as I am careful.
I am careful about the caps...I tried the "better brew" caps over the gold standard ones...didn't notice anything different. I am quite sure it is not the caps, I get the "pffft" on every bottle.

Thanks!

Back