Incomplete fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I had just racked my IIPA to a secondary. The initial hydrometer reading was 1.068, going into the secondary it read 1.020. This seams a little high after primary fermentation. Also I could taste some sweetness from the remaining sugars, when sampling it.

I had produced a good sized starter and had the wort started a healthy fermentation shortly after pitching. I had left it in the primary 14 days as I was out of town. After racking to the secondary I had to move it across town, because I was moving myself. There was still some slow activity in the airlock when I left it (I am out of town again).

I am assuming incomplete fermentation. Am I right? Is there anything I can do?

At 1.020, you're about 69% attenuated. Depending on what yeast you used, (and the ingredients in your IIPA), I'd expect a drop of a couple more points. Wait and see if it comes down a bit more. If it doesn't, you might have to pitch some more yeast.

Edit- David is faster, and probably better at math!

Back