Inaugural run for new system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassManNate

Reaction score
Finally doing my first run for this new system! This is my first real biab in one vessel so I'm hoping this goes much faster than mashing in a bucket and heating on the stove.

Thanks to Bobby_M for the kettle set up! The welding is top notch on this thing!

I built the controller myself with an inkbird ITC-106. Enclosure is from a commercial power supply that was going to be scraped at work. I covered the label on it only because I don't know how the family that owns the company would feel about their name being on this thing!

I've set up right next to the washer partly to get the 240vac from the dryer outlet but also to have a good place to drain my chiller. Going to do a load of laundry after this!

PXL_20210911_184734095.jpg
PXL_20210911_184742446.jpg
PXL_20210911_184713616.jpg

I bet. So far, the only hiccough I've had was right after I mashed in, I had the bag a little too loose and it worked it's way between the kettle and the false bottom. Got pulled into the pump tube.

The automatic nature of this is awesome, though. I'm wrapping up the mash now and so far, all I've really had to do is change temperature now and then and pour my grain in.

You can also use the top of the washer and dryer to set your stuff while you are brewing.
This is EXACTLY what I've been doing. Only thing that might be a pain is when I go to chill, I'll have to clear it all off. Top of the dryer is sloped, unfortunately. Not sure why Samsung thought they needed to do that.

Also, I should note that this is the first time I've brewed at all in over 2 years and it's probably been over 3 years since I brewed all grain at all. This is the easiest brew day I've ever had!
Unfortunately, now you are addicted to homebrewing. Not necessarily a bad thing :)

Last edited:
Congratulations on the first run! I love the simplicity of AIO BIAB. I love my Brewzilla 65L...makes brewing life so much easier!

Well, first brew day took a little more than 4 hours from the time I started heating my water to the time I shut it all down. That even included a bit of an autotune on the PID. I have not completed clean up. My wort is still in the kettle. I'm letting it cool off just a bit more after I got it down to about 95 with the chiller. I'll drain the kettle here later this evening and probably pitch tomorrow morning after it comes down to ambient in the basement.

As I mentioned before, This was also very hands off. I did baby sit it at times since I didn't know what to expect from my set up but most of my time was just watching it. There was a point during the boil that I even came up stairs and did some prep work for dinner.

This all started several months ago when my wife started craving beer...She's never been fond of beer and at one point hated it. I've started buying any variety pack I can find at the store to see what she likes. I wasn't brewing much before because I was the only one in the house drinking it.

Now, if only I had some beer to drink NOW...

"That even included a bit of an autotune on the PID." Yes, very important to do.

" This all started several months ago when my wife started craving beer...She's never been fond of beer and at one point hated it. " Just wait until friends and relatives taste your new beer. God help you!
Basement Bar.jpg

"Now, if only I had some beer to drink NOW..."

You are welcome to visit and have a few with me.

I have a SNPA clone recipe that a good friend back in Chicago really liked. I don't know if I'll make it much despite really liking it because hoppy beers are about the only think my wife WON'T drink.

Now that I say the "back in Chicago" bit, I just realized that my profile still has the wrong location on it.

Congrats on new system BMN! There’s something to be said about simplicity of a single vessel BIAB system - I like mine and find I use it more and more. I’m sure your brews will be great 👌

Is your controller a 240V, 30 amp build? Any idea how much you put into it cost wise?

Cheers 🍻

KBW.

Congrats on new system BMN! There’s something to be said about simplicity of a single vessel BIAB system - I like mine and find I use it more and more. I’m sure your brews will be great 👌

Is your controller a 240V, 30 amp build? Any idea how much you put into it cost wise?

Cheers 🍻

KBW.
Yeah, this is a 240V 30A build. I probably have ~$150 in parts into the controller from the wall to everything mounted in the controller. This doesn't include things like the cord from the controller to the heating element or the fact that I swapped out my dryer outlet for a grounded outlet. Thankfully, I didn't really have to run any wire for the outlet because the panel is in the laundry room and the outlet is mounted directly to the panel. Easy peasy.

One thing I did learn about my PID was that manual mode still references your target temp. For my boil. I shut off the pump and drained the hose to pour back into the kettle so my temp probe never really got above 130 during the boil. I ran the PID at 60-75% during the boil. A few minutes before I stopped the boil, I prepped the pump again to recirculate during cooling. When I opened the valve, the PID stopped no matter what I did with manual mode. I finally figured out it was still trying to get up to temperature but using the manual cycle. Bumped my target temp and it kicked right back on.

Back