Inaccurate pressure gauge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber

Reaction score
Just got my kegging kit set up two weeks ago and I think my regulator is incorrect. My tap is 2ft above the keg, fridge is at 38, 6ft of 3/16 line and the regulator is at 14.5 psi. I feel the beer is still not carbed enough. According to the balencing charts for about 2.7 vol I should only need 13.3 psi. I get a great pour from the tap with no foam so I know everyting is balanced but I'm nervous to keep turning up the psi. Every time I've adjusted it I have waited 2-3 days to retry and I still think it should be higher for me. Any thoughts about keep turning up the pressure?

Did you initially carb it at 14.5 and then leave it for a few days for the CO2 to dissolve? Also, try turning down your pouring pressure. I dispense at 7psi and that is great, any higher and it foams to much tends to lose carbonation faster.

I had it at 13.5 at the begining for 7 days before I tried it. I have made two adjustments since letting it sit for 2-3 days and have not noticed a big difference. How do you mean turn down the pouring pressure?

You're not going to notice a carbonation change in two days, especially when the pressure increase is only a few PSI more. I actually suggest that you leave it where it is for another couple days. There's a slight chance the pressure gauge is a little off. What's the range on it, 0-60psi?

If you're growing impatient, you can jack the pressure to 20psi for half a day, then purge the keg and drop it back down. That should boost you up quicker than waiting for equilibrium.

Back