In the carbonation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Reaction score
Need some advice and counseling here...

I bottled an IPA 12 days ago. I let the beer sit at room temp for 10 days and put them into my fridge (35 to 40 oF). I had full intention to let the beer clear in the fridge for a couple weeks at least, but I ran out of beer last night and thought I would do some QC on my homebrew. When I opened the bottle, there was no carbonation at all. Nor, was very much yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle!


What do I do? I took the beer out of the fridge to warm up a little, but I'm not sure if that's something i should really be doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Assuming that you added the sugar.

Bottles need to sit at fermentation temp for 3 weeks.

Putting them in the fridge caused the yeast to fall out.

Try shaking the bottles up and letting them sit at 68*F for a couple more weeks then try one.
I have a somewhat similar question - My bottles have been sitting with sugar and all inside them since Jan. 26. I anticipate leaving them until Feb. 23. However, I gave a few a visual test, and there's a lot of sediment that is just settled on the bottom of each bottle. Most if it looks like unused sugar, but some is obviously from the wort. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I try to encourage this stuff to get back into suspension?
No, DME is not necessarily better but requires a different amount and a longer carb time. I just wanted you to clarify what you did.

Just keep it 68-75F for another week or two, it should carb up.
Sometime bottle conditioning just takes a long time. The pumpkin ale I brewed this fall set my record at 7 weeks to carbonate. I have no idea why.... it just took that long. Now they are perfect. RDWHAHB
thanks for the counseling (RDWHAHB).

the IPA i brewed is only my fourth batch of homebrew and my first IPA (first time i used a secondary as well). sounds like i was a little too anxious. looks like i'm in for some more waiting...which is the hardest part (r).
Is it possible that the yeast got pooped out if it was a high gravity beer? I lagered my Tripel for a month at 54 F just as instructed, and it has been sitting at room temp for about a week now. There is absolutely NO CARBONATION whatsoever!

Should I sprinkle some fresh yeast in each bottle? BTW, I used Cooper's Carbonation Drops