In St Louis this weekend - where to go/what to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
I'm heading into st louis this weekend (Fri-Sun) for a wedding and want to try as much beers there that I can't get out on the East Coast as possible. I'll probably have to do some non-beer related things too (rehearsal dinner, wedding, the arch, etc) so my time is kinda limited, but I plan on drinking and eating bbq as much as I can.

I'm staying less than 1mile east of Schlaflys Tap Room and The Bridge Tap House is right around the corner so I'm probably going to both of those. I know to look for Bell's, Odells, Boulevard, and SKA, but not necessarily the top choices from them. I've had 2H and a few by schlaflys, and heard good things about oberon, mycernary, tank 7, and modus hoperandi though. Any other local faves I should look for? Anything I absolutely can't miss?

Urban Chestnut for well brewed German Lagers, a few blocks from Schlafly's.

No doubt - I second Urban Chestnut. Get the Zwickel - it is the most perfect pale lager I have ever had (it's technically a helles). Also, it is in Midtown, so it is nearby Pappy's Smokehouse, which is the best BBQ joint in town and next door to another brewery (Buffalo Brewing Co) to boot (and Six Row Brewing Co, and Square One (as mentioned above)). Definitely visit the Schlafly Tap Room. They are the 1st craft beer maker in St. Louis and have been adopted as the new king of beers, if you will, post-InBev takeover. Soulard is a nearby neighborhood and has an International Tap House (aka: iTap) which is simply the best craft beer bar ever, and directly across the street from Llywellan's Pub, which has plenty of choice craft beer and awesome food (shephard's pie, bangers and mash - you know, great drinking food). i could go on and on. Google these places and rejoice. Most of all, enjoy yourself and let us all know what a great time you had in the StL!

Go on the Shlafly tour! it is a small tour, but the tasting is the pay off! when i was there earlier this summer we tasted 8 different beers, and all of them were excellent! I would avoid the landing, unless you go to the old spaghetti factory. if you like girls dressed in lingerie and really good sandwiches you need to head to Johnie's (SP) in soulard. i believe it is on 7th.

you need to try some charleville beers too. they are a small brewery/winery out of st. genevieve (1.5 hours south) but they sell their delicious beers up here. hoptimistic IPA is awesome and just friday they released ALE MUCHO HOPPO. probably on tap at iTap, but you can get their beers at any huge liquor store (friar tucks, lucas liquors, whole foods) which you will probably visit anyway to take a bunch of bottles home. coming from out east you should just bring some beers that are hard to get here and make a swap with somebody! i think most of us would trade plenty for some 120 minute.

If you make it to the Schlafley Tap Room they currently have their seasonal, the American IPA on tap. I picked up a growler last weekend and wish I had gotten two, it is delicious.

I've heard that Anheiser Busch offers a "brewers tour" for a fee (~$25) which is kind of cool and they even let you drink from the massive lagering tanks (from what I was told).

Pick up some O'Fallons (I don't think they do tours) which is just west of STL.

the brewers tour is kind of neat. you get to try the beer at various stages of aging, which is interesting. plus, it is a much smaller group. 8-10 people max (i think) i just like being behind the scenes in that massive brewery and imagining the amazing beer you could produce there if they weren't making bud light. granted, if they weren't making bud light, they would have close the brewery because they would go broke!

Thanks for all the tips, looks like I got alot of work ahead of me. Thats awesome that I get to catch the tail end of beer week, I really wish I had more to to enjoy it.

I'm definitely going to schlaflys, pappys smokehouse, and urban chestnut. Hopefully, I'll be able to do iTap and Square one as well. anyone been to The Bridge Tap House & Wine Bar? the tap list sounds awesome and its real close to my hotel

keep the suggestions coming, particularly on which beers to try!

The Bridge Tap House is ok. If I remember right, when I went there they were 'out' of a few of the best beers they had listed on tap. No Tripel Karmeliet!? Come on...

They had good cheese and being from Wisconsin, I was all over it.

so despite not getting to try as many brews or experience as much of the beer week as I'd like, the trip was a pretty good success. heres the highlights
-got a VIP tour at the schlafly tap room and traded some east coast beers for some of their stuff to bring home. really enjoyed the AIPA
- went to Urban Chestnut, couldnt get a tour cuz of construction, but did a sampling of most beers. wasn't crazy about the zwickel, but the FES was great, and the pretzel balls were amazing
- went to iTap for firkin fest. got to try the charleville mucho hoppo on cask and their hoptimistic, blvd tank 7, 2 jokers, & white IPA, odells myrceneary, o fallon whiskey porter, and bells oberon. myrcenary was without a doubt my favorite, but the whiskey porter was great as well.
- went to Bogart's for lunch. same owners as Pappy's, half the line. great stuff, wish we knew how to bbq in the northeast.
- city museum while slightly drunk at night is awesome

Thanks for all the tips. I really wish I coulda done more and had more room in my luggage to bring back what I couldn't try.

Glad you enjoyed it! Plenty more places to go, beers to sample next time you're in town.

zwickel has a funk, i don't care for it either. i meant to mention o'fallon 5 day ipa, i think it is every bit as good as AIPA by schlafly. those are my two favorite st. louis brews.
glad to hear you had a good time and got to do some beer trading. bartering is always the way to go!

Back