In need of some quick advice - boiling pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebj5883

Reaction score
So I'm about to start a batch of irish red, but I'm a little worried about the metallic smell of the new 5 gallon stainless stock pot that I bought yesterday. Its relatively chintzy, so other than being careful not to scorch, is there anything to worry about with that metallic smell transferring into my beer?

I was warned against "washing", at least with dish soap, but I have rinsed it out and am now letting it boil for going on 30 minutes now. Think that's sufficient?

Oh, and to clarify, I'm letting sink water boil for 30 minutes in the pot as a pre cleaning for making the beer, in case there was any confusion.

I was warned against "washing", at least with dish soap, but I have rinsed it out and am now letting it boil for going on 30 minutes now. Think that's sufficient?

Yes, keep actual soap away from any brewing equipment. Boiling should be good. Buy some PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) from your LHBS. Use that to wash everything. Then some Star San to sanitize, though, obviously, you won't be sanitizing your boil kettle. Have fun with your brew!

The only thing commonly found around you need to keep away from your SS is bleach. Bleach and stainless do not play well together.

After using my SS pot, fermenting buckets, etc., I rinse thoroughly and wash with plain old Dawn dishwashing liquid* (which is a detergent, not a soap). If washing is done immediately after use, it's very easy.

Naturally, for plastic things like fermenting & bottling buckets no scrubbing pads, steel wool, sandpaper, or sandblasters should be used to clean, lest it scratch the plastic and leave scratches where baddies can lurk.

To clean small things that have lots of nooks and crannies, or small tubular stuff like, well, tubing, or autosiphons, wine thief, bottling wand, spigot parts for bottling bucket, etc. I use PBW. I cannot use Oxi-Clean, because our well water is too hard.

*To forestall the inevitable, I've been using Dawn to wash my equipment for 4 years, thank you, and when rinsed off leaves NO residue, smell, or any other thing on my equipment or in my beer. YMMV, but I don't care what it leaves on your equipment, my equipment does fine. With Dawn.

For my plastic bucket fermenters I have been just using water to clean them for a couple months now. They come out looking and smelling as clean as soaking Oxiclean in them overnight.

Tubing, turkey baster, and other stuff gets a hot water flush immediately after use. Close visual inspection of everything before it gets set aside to dry. Of course I replace my tubing on a regular basis.

I use Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning my SS boil pot. Works great. No hard scrubbing. Comes out clean as new. Just be sure to rinse it out cause is smells horrible.

The trick to cleaning things is to clean them before they dry.

Thanks alot gents :)

Batch is done, seems to have gone the smoothest so far, but we'll see when it comes time to taste!

Back