In need of motivation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I am so unmotivated about brewing and posting. I have not posted or read posts for weeks, maybe months. The compressor on my beer altar burned out and all my beer is warm. I want to brew some lagers, but can't find the time and even if I do I can't really lager it until the compressor is fixed. I have this raging cold and have lost my voice.

On the lighter side, I made reservations for the AHA Nationals in Oakland.

OK, somebody give me some inspiration!

It could be worse. You could have just stopped in on your brewery and noticed the racking arms butterfly valve looked slightly off. You then go to try a sample from the sample cock only to get CO2. AND THEN, you would realize some dubm a$$ must have not closed the damn valve all the way and you just lost 7 bbls of your most excellent Classic American Pils........................................................:mad:

Maybe not inspiring, but your burnt out compressor could be worse:drunk:

CIMG100721.jpg

This Baby ain't gonna feed itself!

And there are plenty of people here who NEED some sage advice and help from someone like you!
It may not mean a lot to you for your posts...but there are plenty of us out here that always appreciate what you have to say. You probably will never know the brewing careers that you've saved, and that gallons of happiness that were created with and because of your presence here!

On the lighter...less serious side...
Stop being a wuss and brew something! Something with Agave....LOTS of it. Breckenridge Brewery has the Agave Wheat...right idea...wrong execution!

Ouch! Sorry about the warm beer. Don't worry it will be nice and chilly before you know it.

As for inspration:

Whenever I have a brewing quandry I always make it a point to go to the local store and get a few bottles or sixer of some really amazing brew. while im drinking i take stock of all my equipment and try to recall my favorite times brewing. that always cheers me up and sometimes kickstarts my motivation.

if that fails: remember that all of life operates on cycles. all will change with time.

I need to find a refrigeration guy and get that beauty fixed. I just don't want to spend the cash right now. Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Ok, ok. Look...............................im smilling and lost 1200.00 bucks worth of beer.

Do you want tuff love of gentle nurturing? cuz i gotz both

Is life getting you down and thus making you not want to brew? or is brewing getting you down and not letting you get on with life?

I'm not sure if any of these should motivate you, but they make me happy
Homemade reuben and cream ale:
DSCF0912.JPG

Recently completed 3-tier maiden voyage (Bee Cave IPA):
DSCF0908.JPG

I am mostly just bitching to get my cranky a$$ moving in a positive beer direction.

I did that valve thing once. Same result, 7 bbls down the drain. But at least now I can talk about the best beer I ever made never made it into a glass!

God wants you to make good beer. If you're not following in His son's footsteps and turning water into (barley)wine, then you're not fulfilling your full potential, as a brewer AND a Pastor....

So get crackin bub!!:D

:mug:

God wants you to make good beer. If you're not following in His son's footsteps and turning water into (barley)wine, then you're not fulfilling your full potential, as a brewer AND a Pastor....

So get crackin bub!!:D

:mug:

Bub? Come a little strong than that. I know he's a pastor and all, but c'mon Revvy.:p

But at least now I can talk about the best beer I ever made never made it into a glass!

I am thinking you may be suffering residual depression?

I'm thinking you should come to Colorado Immediately! I have enough love and passion for brewing that some is sure to rub off on you and get your starter bubbling again!
I'm sure SWMBO would love to have someone else for me to talk to about brewing....she's tired of hearing about it.

I did make a 1.112 Russian Imperial a couple weeks ago. 15 gallons, 5 of which is sitting on oak cubes. That is enough to get me smiling!

I find i lose motivation to brew when i treat it like a chore ie... when i try to get done in a hurry, when i dont take my time and get a few things ready the day before.

When i slow down and prepare it is very enjoyable and it makes me want to brew again.

Good to see you back, Pastor. Believe me, I understand. I, too, have been going through one hell of a rough patch lately. I had absolutely no interest in any of the things that used to float my boat. I haven't brewed since March or April, haven't gone fishing in ages, and I was absent from this forum for several months, too. I am doing better, I've been active around here for about a month, an I am brewing on Saturday (my starter is chugging along nicely).
I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep plugging along. It'll get better. And brew, dammit!!

I totally agree with keep thinking like a hobby and it won't be work. Some real inspiration comes from showing someone how to brew and seeing them get excited. You have all of the equipment, knowledge and whatnot to really show someone who is interested how to make a delicious brew.

I have to say that if I didn't have that kind soul in my brewing life I would still be sitting here with my thumb in a place that I don't want my thumb. He gave me some kettles and a little advice and I was off. Now 4 months and 8 brews later I just moved up to a 10 gallon batch for the first time so that I can give him back 5 and have 5 for a party.

I can't imagine a better way to spend my weekends than brewing or hanging out with other homebrewers.

Before I started this hobby I wasn't poor but I was lonely. Now I'm poor but not lonely anymore. I've never been sober but at least now I'm drinking good beer. :p :D

That RIS sounds like a wonderful motivation. I really wanna make one. The brew days usually take twice as long, and twice as much goes wrong, but there's just something magical about making a really big beer when it's all said an done.

Preaching to the choir good Pastor. I haven't been around here since this years NHC. I haven't brewed since then either. Who would have thought that getting a PhD would take away from your precious brew-time!! I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford a trip to Oakland this year. We'll see, I'd love to run into you again sometime, Tom.

Back