In need of a maibock recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I havent really brewed lagers all that much due to the time/temperature requirements. I now have the fridge space to "lager" in a corny so I am thinking of taking a stab at a maibock. I have the white labs san francisco lager yeast and was trying to come up with a really nice recipe that would work well with this specific yeast. ANY insight would be very much appreciated!:mug:

I've used the San Francisco yeast to make a Marzen, which I fermented at 50 degrees, and I was pretty disappointed. The beer was very clean and smooth, but I think this yeast is a hop accentuator, and mutes malt flavors. Which the BMC drinking group loved, BTW.
Maybe it would be better fermenting at a higher temp, but I've made California Commons with this yeast too, and they also come out more hoppy than malty, which I personally don't prefer in my German beers.
I suppose you could play around with greater amounts of Munich malt, or add some crystal, etc. but using the right yeast in the beginning is so much easier.
The White Labs WLP800 series will give you FAR better German lagers, IMHO.

SF lager is good yeast but if you have the ability to provide proper lager fermentation temps a true lager strain would be a better choice for this style IMO. You want virtually no esters here. That said any good recipe can be used with the SF. I like a blend of about 60/40 Vienna/Pils malt.

Something like this:

9 lbs Vienna Malt; Weyermann
5 lbs Pilsner Malt; Weyermann
1 oz Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 20 min.
Yeast : WYeast 2308 Munich Lager

@davekippen, I was looking at that recipe the other day and am heavily considering it. However I guess I am not completely sold on making a maibock and would considering better style options for using the SF lager yeast. I just want to make a nice lager of decent gravity for the end of winter/beginning of spring. What would be a better substantial (not light) lager style to make with the SF yeast?

Back