In need of a little advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untouchedbox

Reaction score
So... I'm an experienced beer brewer, and I've made contact with a local beekeeper in hopes he could mentor me, so I can learn a bit of his craft.

He agreed, in exchange for fermenting some honey for him. I have roughly 5 Gal of pure honey that I need to turn to some Mead.

I'm going to make a few batches and different kinds, and I've been reading that nutrient and starter are pretty helpful if not necessary.

Any other advice for a novice? Pitfalls or woes to avoid? Any advice would be helpful, I'm both nervous and excited to start this project.

Thanks in advance!

uBox

Well, nutrient is a definite yes. On that note, you should read on Staggered nutrient additions as well as aeration.

Don't shoot for 18% on your first batch. Start with a traditional at 12-14% and see how you do. If you make a bigger batch you can split it into 1 gallon jugs and add different ingredients to see what that does for your flavor and aroma.

When planning batches with your gravity, you can plan to hit 1.000 Final gravity. (unlike the malts in beer making, your honey is entirely fermentable.)

I think GotMead has a NewBee guide which is a super helpful resource for new mead makers.

I totally agree..stepping nutrient at the 1/3 break and again about 1/2 is what I did on my last batch with great results..nice strong yeasties goin to town :mug:

So... I'm an experienced beer brewer, and I've made contact with a local beekeeper in hopes he could mentor me, so I can learn a bit of his craft.

He agreed, in exchange for fermenting some honey for him. I have roughly 5 Gal of pure honey that I need to turn to some Mead.

I'm going to make a few batches and different kinds, and I've been reading that nutrient and starter are pretty helpful if not necessary.

Any other advice for a novice? Pitfalls or woes to avoid? Any advice would be helpful, I'm both nervous and excited to start this project.

Thanks in advance!

uBox

You might want to read this before you start:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381802/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's on my bookshelf & has helped me quite a bit; I still refer to it from time to time. Also, you might find some useful info here:
http://www.gotmead.com/

Here are a few recipes you might like:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/

Hope that helps.
Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
While what these guys have said is VERY true.. there is one more important factor you MUST employ.

PATIENCE.. !!!! Unlike beer, MEAD needs TIME... and LOTS of it. I might suggest a Melomel. (fruit and honey).
Used 2- 3lb cans of vintners fruit puree per 5 gal batch with about 15-16 lbs of honey. The choice of fruit is all up to you. READ READ READ.. before you even buy the yeast read read read. get a good understanding of how prior to you starting. get a good tried and true recipe from the interwebs and then take your time.

Ahhhh, yes, patience....I've found the best way to exercise this virtue is to have several fermentors (at least ;) ) filled with different batches made at different times....and Schramm's book is the best off-line resource I've found.....and check out gotmead.com, for sure :cool:

Patience..oh yeah thats what happens when my mead spends months in the secondary..thats when I start brewing beer

Got fortunate enough to get a sample of one of the workers at my lhbs..it was a 2 yr traditional mead..omg!. That was the nectar of the gods...

Definitely make some mead with wine yeast for the long term, but in the meantime, make a Joe's Ancient Orange and a Bray's One Month Mead for fast consumption.

Cheers!

Better brewing through science!

Lmao!.. I havent tried BOMM recipe yet..im kind of interested in that one..just seems weird to brew a one month mead..But isn't that the beauty of a one gallon test batch or three? :mug:

Back