In Need of A 5L stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I'm improving my skills step by step and my equipment piece by piece. I'm on to yeast starters and I'm looking a stir plate now. I see most do up to 2L and I was hoping to do more like 5L. I do 10gallon batches and most of the time they are high gravity. I've been doing them in a pot that we use to cook in the house with but SWMBO is starting to annoyed with not having to cook with. So I'm reaching out to you folks. Which you use? which is you favorite? Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

I'm currently using a small Hanna stir plate, making large staters is pushing this stir plate to the limit. Looks funny seeing a 5000ml flask on it. I was searching around and found this stir plate (The Black Maxx, by Tower Cooler.com) it's so big you can put a 5 gal carboy on it and get a good vortex. It's expensive, but if you want the best this is the one. There's a U-tube video on this, check it out.

Back