In-Line Sight Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mZnthebend

Reaction score
I'm sharing an idea I've had for an in-line sight glass. I will use it to monitor the clarification of the wort as well as monitor run-off color. I picked up a 1/2" diameter 8" long borosilicate glass tube from McMaster yesterday for less then $10. (3723K11) I plan to insert the sight glass just after my mash tun, on the low pressure side of the pump. I'm not worried about the pressure in the glass, but I'd like to get away with a slip fit from the silicone hose. If the slip fit doesn't cut it, I'll add some stainless hose clamps. The tubing is really thick and seems to be fairly strong. The ID is a little smaller than I expected, due to the wall thickness, but since it will be on the inlet side of a throttled pump, I don't expect any issues. If I have any issues I may try the 5/8" diameter next. I'll post pics from my next batch.

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

Interesting idea. Let us know how it goes with this. I am using the silicon tubing just so I can see the wort in some key areas of my rig, but I prefer to use the thermoplastic both because it is more rigid, and also because it is a fair bit cheaper.
If this works well on the suction-side of the pump, the I can go all thermoplastic and save $0.70/ft every time I have to replace it.

That is a really cool idea. I would take a sanke spear and cut it the same length as the glass tube and then cut some circles out of the middle. Kind of a makeshift glass protector.

Not a bad idea. I have one of those just laying around. Maybe I could mill some long slots in it at work. I'll have to see if it would fit in there nicely.

yeah i'm thinking the OD of the silicone is close to the ID of the spear, might just have to take strips of the silicone tubing and double it up. I'm for sure going to try something like this on my setup.

I prefer to use the thermoplastic both because it is more rigid, and also because it is a fair bit cheaper.
If this works well on the suction-side of the pump, the I can go all thermoplastic and save $0.70/ft every time I have to replace it.

Where are you sourcing this thermoplastic tubing? I'm trying to decide on tubing for my rig, and I'd love to cut some cost and avoid silicone tubing if I can.

Where are you sourcing this thermoplastic tubing? I'm trying to decide on tubing for my rig, and I'd love to cut some cost and avoid silicone tubing if I can.

I got mine from NB - Search Results

At $1.40 per ft, it saved me a dollar or twelve! It is thick wall and more rigid than the silicone, and you cannot see through it, but I really like it.

$$$ is king... Building an all stainless brewing rig is going to be expensive as all hell. Eventually, I'm going to be making all of the wort transfer lines with SS tubing as well, so I don't want to buy the silicone tubing if I'm not going to be using it in the end.

Worked great. I think 1/2" OD Glass Tubing is a little small for sealing with the 1/2" ID silicone. It sealed up, but with considerable tightening of the hose clamps. I think the 5/8" OD Glass Tubing would be a better route and will most likely get the 5/8" Tubing next.

I did not have any issues with flow being constricted and starving the pump. Overall, I was very impressed.

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Back