In Line 5 Micron Filter Before Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbezenek

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I haven't been able to find much in the way of discussion about using an inline 5 micron filter to remove hops particles, trub, and cold/hot break from wort before it goes into the primary.

My initial thoughts are that some sugars and yeast nutrients would be lost in the operation but they would possibly be minimal compared to the clarity that would result.

My second thought was to find a refillable water filter and fill it full of boiled rice hulls, essentially creating a filter bed that would remove all the stuff I mentioned above.

Has anyone tried something like this and what are the drawbacks, if any?

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan

I think a 5 micron filter would clog so fast it wouldn't even be funny, as even just straining through a cheese cloth type thing will clog. I hear some ppl use a biab bag to strain off hops with success, when they transfer to primary.
A bit of trub is nothing to worry about.
If you really want to transfer as little as possible, besides wort, you'd probably need to do it in steps. First a large, coarse strainer bag, to catch the bulk, then maybe a finer cheese cloth.
Using a 5 micron fiter before primary just seems like a waste to me.

You would most likely be looking for a 400 micron filter... Look at Brewers Harware Trub filter... Its pricey but seems to be the cats meow when it comes to pre-primary fermentation filtration. I would love one, but I can't justify the price/.

It's been shown that having trub/hot or cold break/hops in the primary is nothing to be concerned with, and actually can HELP with clarification and taste. Check out the Brulosophy exBEERiment on it.

If absolutely want to filter, I'd say do it after fermentation so as to also remove residual yeast. Otherwise there really isn't any point in filtering prior to fermentation. At least none I've become privy to.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Bowtiebrewer - the Brewers Hardware Trub filter is exactly what I was thinking, albeit expensive.

I'm currently using a false bottom and a bazooka type screen below it. It filters out a lot after recirculating and whirlpooling; however, I would like to remove even more of the smaller particulate matter.

What I was thinking is that I could use the same filter housing I use for post fermentation filtering (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC8D9DG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and find a workable solution for pre-fermentation filtering.

I've read that boiling rice hulls and using them in a hop back for filtering works well, but hop backs are fairly pricey, too. Hence, the question about a re-usable/re-fillable filter for the above housing, like this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007933FXK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20).

That being said, if I can find a 300 micron filter for my housing, I'll give that a shot and see how it goes...

Last edited by a moderator:
A hop back is likely my next investment, partly because I'd like to try using it as a filter between my pump and plate chiller. From what I've read on these forums it works well when used that way on the hot side. I imagine a plastic housing filled with rice hulls would work on the cool side on the way to the fermenter as long as it is properly sanitized.

Are you using carboys or pails for primary? If the latter, a low tech option might be to put a BIAB bag in the pail before you transfer, let it filter the trub and then pull it all out.

Back