"In defense of soda" article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daft

Reaction score
Here is a great article in response to the S.F. food-nazis impending stiff soda tax...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/in...h/pf (MarketWatch.com - Personal Finance News)

Talks about the US heritage of soda as an artisan craft and the growth of less sweet "grown up sodas". Talks about the high caloric content of alternative drinks and snacks. And just the plain joy of carbonated drink... what happened to the land of liberty?

Interesting article. I would love to see more "grown up sodas" in the market. Unfortunately it's now dominated by carbonated chemicals, although voting with your dollars would make other companies produce what is in demand. But soda is a hard business, you compete mostly on the shelf space arena, where Coke and Pepsi dominate. I'm not sure soda taxes are the answer, but I can see people's general aversion to them...they formulate soda specifically so that you can drink quite a lot of them without feeling like it's so sweet. Sugar, enough acid to offset the sugar and artificial flavor.

Since getting a keg set up, and even just a carbonator cap, I've been enjoying the joys of just carbonating fresh juices. Carbonated fresh cane juice is amazing just by itself! Carbonated tangerine, apple cider...etc. Getting harder to look at packaged sodas these days since they are just hard to make fresh and without preservatives (not saying that some companies don't do it tho).

Back