In a jam, need a ready made hops trellis or similar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalko

Reaction score
Moved my hops this winter to a new location in a row about 30' long. Was going to build a simple 2 poled system with a taut wire between them until I tore a muscle in my arm a couple of weeks ago. Now my hops are sprouting and already vining a little bit and there is no way for me to get something built like I planned.

Any recommendations for something quick and will not require a lot of manual labor? I realize anything I do at this point will not be the best but I at least want to get them off the ground.

Cheers

I just use a Home Depot steel trellis. $32 78"x28", not that tall as it sticks in the ground. Hops are 16'-20' commercially, but they will grow where they can. You can put up taller posts when you feel better, or just let them grow. My prior trellis was wood mounted on stakes with bamboo tomato sticks tied on. The hops will grow over and around, and produce plenty of cones.
I hope you feel better soon. I fractured (mildly) my shoulder and my cheek in a fall a few weeks ago. Managed to brew today, mostly one handed.

Two 84'' shepherd hooks work pretty well. You can then have a line strung between them.

I wouldn't expect to harvest anything from them this year, and thus would not bother with hanging them since you are otherwise unprepared.

Hops will survive on the ground, as they have in the wild since forever.

How long of Bamboo poles can you source?

Simple tripod over the crown, with a string to climb. If you wanted to get fancified, lash them at about two thirds height and run strings from each tip across the tripod to give lots of support for the different bines to climb. You could also route strings down the legs so the bines spread, then climb up and over the lash point.

Heck, you could add a couple bamboo poles to that Home Depot trellis to give the bines some height to climb later.

TeeJo

Back