Improvised Fall Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
So I'm poor because I just moved to northern New Jersey for grad school but I would like to brew a fall beer. Limitations other than being broke:

1) The only grain I have is a sack of German pilsener malt and oats from the grocery store.
2) I have a fairly small apartment with a somewhat weak stove.
3) The only yeast I have is S-04 unless I culture something out of a bottle.

I am planning on brewing this coming weekend. I want a deep amber-brown colored beer so I began home toasting my pilsener malt to make various shades and one crystal malt. Also toasted my oats a bit. So this is what I've planned. It is a 3 gallon batch:

Improvised Bier de...Mild?

3 lbs. Pilsener malt
2 lbs. home toasted Munich malt
1 lb. Crystal 60L ( 60...ish. Also home made)
8 oz. toasted oats.
4 oz. Chocolate malt (also home toasted, a little inconsistent)

.75 oz. Mt. Hood (4.8% AA) @ 60 min. (About 24 IBU)
.25 oz. Mt Hood @ 15 min.

BIAB, mash high (156F)

S-04 (At as low as my swamp cooler will get me)

Some things I'm considering:
1) A loaf (or half a loaf) of pumpernickel bread that I made toasted up (or staled) in the mash.
2) A couple ounces of molasses in the boil.

I'm trying for a somewhat malty, brownish beer for fall/winter using only what I have. If anybody has any suggestions, please keep it to things that I can get at the grocery store. Thanks in advance! :mug:

I think you've got a good recipe to try right there without adding anything else - very cool to have made your own specialty malts. I would skip the pumpernickel and the molasses - no need to get overly complicated with this.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I've home roasted my own malts before and I've liked the results, so it's not quite as intimidating now that I kind of -have- to do it. The bread in the mash as well as the molasses were partially just for color concerns, but as long as I've estimated all my home toasted malts in the right ballpark I think the color will be at least close to what I'm shooting for.

I also just have a weird urge to put bread in the mash, but I think you're right. I'm trying enough things with this and don't need to add unnecessary worry. (Though the bread is already made and is delicious :) )

Well, I bottled this and it tastes very promising at this stage. A nice malty, slightly roasty brown ale or mild with a tiny bit of fruitiness (I don't get bubblegum as some say) from the S-04. It is actually a bit reminiscent of coffee though none was used, I expect this has to do with home roasting my own grains. I let most of them sit for 2 weeks or more, but I did one very light toast of around a pound that only sat for a few days before brewing. Still not harsh at all. When I opened the bucket lid it was the smallest leftover krausen ring I think I've ever seen.

Will give another update when I crack one in 3 weeks!

Well, I bottled this and it tastes very promising at this stage. A nice malty, slightly roasty brown ale or mild with a tiny bit of fruitiness (I don't get bubblegum as some say) from the S-04. It is actually a bit reminiscent of coffee though none was used, I expect this has to do with home roasting my own grains. I let most of them sit for 2 weeks or more, but I did one very light toast of around a pound that only sat for a few days before brewing. Still not harsh at all. When I opened the bucket lid it was the smallest leftover krausen ring I think I've ever seen.

Will give another update when I crack one in 3 weeks!

Excellent!

(this puts me in mind to go grab one of my autumn browns from the fridge! Thanks!) :mug:

No problem, that's the kind of reminder I like to be! Sounds yummy, can't wait for mine to be ready... :mug:

No problem, that's the kind of reminder I like to be! Sounds yummy, can't wait for mine to be ready... :mug:

It turned out pretty fantastic if I do say so myself! Yours sounds like it is going to turn out fantastic too!

Very cool idea improvising your own specialty grains. I'm a poor grad student as well - though I'm lucky enough to work weekends at a brewery and have access to their grains - but will remember this for leaner times!

That's a cool weekend job to have as a grad student! Roasting your own specialty grains is a really nice option, but it does have some limitations of course. Particularly since I was only using an oven.

Just an update on this one. I've had two so far and it turned out pretty well! I think it could still use a bit more time actually even though it's been in the bottle for 6 weeks or so. The warmest spot in my little basement apartment is between 68-70 and for a darker beer like this I think it could use a bit more time.

Anyhow, the taste is pretty much right on what I wanted. Fairly malty with a bit of toasted malt and a noticeable but not aggressive hop presence. The color is in a kind of strange no man's land between something like Yuengling and a brown ale. Pretty much my only complaint is that the body/mouthfeel is not where I want it. It feels a little thin which is strange considering the high mash temp and purposefully not aerating super well to try for low attenuation.

I will try to post a pic of the next one I have.

Back