Important Oatmeal Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
So tommorow is my first 10 Gallon batch, and I have chosen an Oatmeal stout.

I am used to tossing in Irish Moss to coagulate some of the proteins out of the beer, but then was reading earlier today in one of my brew books that Oatmeal Stout is so smooth due to proteins from the oatmeal. Which all leads to my question:

Will using Irish Moss negate some of the smoothness the oatmeal in my stout creates? Should I not use moss for this brew??

Thanks guys!

:mug:

I've never heard of Irish Moss negating the effects of oatmeal: Irish moss helps keep floculants coagulated and keeps your beer from tasting yeasty and looking cloudy. So if anything, I think Irish moss helps mantain the dry notes that oatmeal brings to a stout. Proteins aren't totally settled out: otherwise, Irish moss would be considered a step for eliminating chill haze...and the beer wouldn't be able to have a head.

There's little need to use fining agents on a stout anyway: if you can't see light through a glass of it, who knows how cloudy it is?

I used IR in my last oatmeal stout and I've been drinking it for about 2 weeks now and it's like drinking silk. I don't think it affected adversely at all!

Didn't use it in my last oatmeal stout and boy is it good!

David :)

For the record, I did use it in my brew today! Will try and report back with info!

Back